1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Dan Toms, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Dan Toms

Dan Toms

I’m having a problem with my Jet 14-40. I recently cut a large branch from an oak tree that shaded my garage where the lathe is. I live in California and we had some temperatures that hit around 100 degrees. I think I may have smocked the motor. It won’t run at full speed and will trip the breaker after about 1 min. I’m hoping it’s not the motor .It makes a sort of a grinding before it trips the breaker. Any thoughts?

2. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Bearings or possibly the variable speed pulleys.

3. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Take the belt off the motor and spin the motor by hand to listen for noise. Then run the motor with the belt off and listen. With the belt off, check headstock bearings for drag or grinding noise. See if any of the reeves drive pulleys are stuck

Tim Tucker likes this.