• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

help with wood - rahador and lemonwood?

My wife and I were at the local woodstore this morning wehere we picked up a couple of 3" x 3" x 2" blocks of wood we can't quite identify... One is named 'rahador', the other 'lemonwood'. There were in the turning section, but I can't seem to find any information on these woods in any of my reference books.

The Rahador reminds me of ebony or african blackwood; the lemonwood of... well, lemony wood :)

Anyone had any experience turning these woods?

thanks in advance,

--e

lemonwood

I bought a blank a while back and it is about the easiest turning wood I have ever put on my lathe and it's nice to look at also. Have no idea about the other.

Vernon

I just Googled rahador and got only one response, someone asking about what rahador wood is. This would tend to confirm that this is an incorrect spelling or made up name, since even really obscure stuff will come up on google.

Now Lemonwood, on the other hand, comes up as a New Zealand shrub called pittosporum euginoides. Not sure if this is the same as the wood you got. If what you have is bright, lemony yellow, then they've probably used "lemonwood" as a descriptive name rather than correctly named the wood.

Dietrich

Last edited:
dkulze said:
I just Googled rahador and got only one response, someone asking about what rahador wood is. This would tend to confirm that this is an incorrect spelling or made up name, since even really obscure stuff will come up on google.

Now Lemonwood, on the other hand, comes up as a New Zealand shrub called pittosporum euginoides. Not sure if this is the same as the wood you got. If what you have is bright, lemony yellow, then they've probably used "lemonwood" as a descriptive name rather than correctly named the wood.

Dietrich

I talked briefly with some of the folks that sold me the wood today. Rahador is apparently from Central America. That said, after a bit of discussion it seems that perhaps this is indeed a made up word; no other name was known. :(

The Lemonwood is indeed a shrub from New Zealand (pittosporum euginoides).

Both are nice looking blocks. If I don't mess these up, they should result in something quite striking :)

-e

erimille said:
I talked briefly with some of the folks that sold me the wood today. Rahador is apparently from Central America. That said, after a bit of discussion it seems that perhaps this is indeed a made up word; no other name was known. :(

All of that said, I finally got around to chucking this wood and this stuff turns like a dream.

I can't wait to try the lemonwood :) thanks for the all the help!

--e

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 142
Back