• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help with bolt size...

Can anyone confirm that the bolts for the top jaws on a Oneway Stronghold chuck are M6 16mm?
Getting a little weird with the isolation and need to locate new bolts for the blades on a planer (getting so bored I’m doing neglected maintenance on flatwood equipment...) The bolts from the chuck jaws are the same size, but no where - I’ve even been through the manuals and websites for both Oneway and the planer manufacturer, but neither give the size of these bolts so I can order up a set. Hopelessly ignorant of metric sizes.

Go to Lowe's, Home Depot or any hardware store. They should have a gauge to determine the proper fastener. Good luck.

You can purchase a set of metric thread checkers, or you can make your own, just purchase (1) bolt and nut and glue the nut to the top of the bolt and attach a tag that identifies the size and thread pitch. Metric fasteners can be a challenge as they make them in a broad range of thread pitches.

You can purchase a set of metric thread checkers, or you can make your own, just purchase (1) bolt and nut and glue the nut to the top of the bolt and attach a tag that identifies the size and thread pitch. Metric fasteners can be a challenge as they make them in a broad range of thread pitches.

There is a broad range of metric thread pitches? The chart I have says there is only one pitch for 6mm bolt. It shows no fine, or extra fine, only 1.0 standard thread pitch. Not until you get to 8mm does it show different pitches, and then it is only standard and fine. It only shows multiple pitches for 8,10, 12, and 14 as the only metric sizes with multiple thread pitches. Must be my chart? Imperial bolts have at least two thread pitches for every bolt size.

Stuck out here with the ferry asking for essential trips only, no access to the niceties of stores handy, I just found something that fit to get me through until McMaster Carr could deliver. Oneway has always been helpful answering dumb questions...The blades are now reinstalled with 3 of the 12 bolts from a stash of chuck jaw bolts I had handy. Living on an island sometimes requires resourcefulness - that is learned the hard way.

Thanks all - already ordered from McMaster-Carr - they’re on the way. There’s a reason islanders save everything - nuts, bolts, scraps of wood - you never know when you’re gonna need it...

Back