• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help with AAW smock sizing

I plan to order an AAW turning smock and see that the sizes range from Small to 4X Large. I'm trying to figure out the best size to order. I'm 5' 11", 175 lbs, 36" waist and wondering if the Large will be too large. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. If you happen to have a medium smock, it'd be great if you could post the seam-to-seam length at the shoulder as well as the width at the belt line. The AAW suggested to 'just order your sweater size', but I'd hate to order the wrong size and then ship it back for an exchange. Thanks!!

Ronald - thanks for posting this. I have an AAW smock from the 2001 symposium that my wife has replaced zippers on, and is getting pretty ratty (and doesn’t have a size label). I’ve been thinking about replacing but don’t want to order the wrong size. I’m a size or so up from you though, I *think* I want XL, but also wear L in some things (6’3”, 220lb, 36 waist). If anyone can steer me to the right size I’d appreciate it too :)
Ron

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I plan to order an AAW turning smock and see that the sizes range from Small to 4X Large. I'm trying to figure out the best size to order. I'm 5' 11", 175 lbs, 36" waist and wondering if the Large will be too large. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. If you happen to have a medium smock, it'd be great if you could post the seam-to-seam length at the shoulder as well as the width at the belt line. The AAW suggested to 'just order your sweater size', but I'd hate to order the wrong size and then ship it back for an exchange. Thanks!!

I'm exactly the same size as you are and I have two of the "L" size AAW smocks (bought one 16 years ago and the other 2 years ago). They are a perfect fit for me. I definitely would not want a medium size nor would I want an XL.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Ronald - thanks for posting this. I have an AAW smock from the 2001 symposium that my wife has replaced zippers on, and is getting pretty ratty (and doesn’t have a size label). I’ve been thinking about replacing but don’t want to order the wrong size. I’m a size or so up from you though, I *think* I want XL, but also wear L in some things (6’3”, 220lb, 36 waist). If anyone can steer me to the right size I’d appreciate it too :)
Ron

Before my open heart surgery last year I was essentially your size except for the altitude and the "L" size fit me fine. However, the fit depends mostly on the chest size. Given your 36" waist size I would guess that you might have a larger chest size in which case an XL smock might be more to your liking.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Ron, I got an XL smock in 2019 and it is way too large. I swim in it. For sizing purposes, I am 5 ft. 11 inches and 210 pounds with a 38 inch waist. I wish I had the Large. Hope this helps

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I ordered the XL, mostly because I wear every shirt in XL( I like loose fit), I'm 5,11 295lb and 34" waist. The XL is a tent on me, and in my opinion too loose to wear around spinny things.

OK, I'm impressed-- I thought Barbie had odd proportions:rolleyes:. I have flirted with a 34" waist, but only when I weigh nearly 100 lbs less than that. At 5'10" and 215 lbs an XL is right most of the time, getting tight when I have a flannel shirt, fleece vest, and hoodie sweatshirt on underneath it. I probably need a winter and summer smock in different sizes.

Guys, you’re not helping me here :)

After Bill’s comment I was certain I’d get an XL. Then Bruce and Brian steer me back towards L. This is why I was planning to get a new one at this past summer’s symposium, where I could try them on...then Covid hit.

Maybe I’ll just get my wife to make me a custom one (won’t have the cool AAW logo, but I’m sure I could have her embroider something else)..

Do you have a restaurant supply store in your area? Visit them and check out different chef's shirts. Double breasted down the front (i.e. big overlap), and buttons right up to your neck. Go with short sleeves for safety. Pretty affordable and a few different colors. Works well for me.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Guys, you’re not helping me here :)

After Bill’s comment I was certain I’d get an XL. Then Bruce and Brian steer me back towards L. This is why I was planning to get a new one at this past summer’s symposium, where I could try them on...then Covid hit.

Maybe I’ll just get my wife to make me a custom one (won’t have the cool AAW logo, but I’m sure I could have her embroider something else)..

I wasn't thinking very clearly earlier today. After some more careful consideration I wouldn't hesitate to get the "L" size. The large size is roomy enough across the shoulders that I don't feel consricted. After reading some of the comments about the XL smock it sounds moe like a tent than a smock.

Before Bruce corrected himself my brain locked up trying to visualize his proportions. :D

I talked to the AAW and they measured the Large smock. They said the shoulder seam-to-seam is 21.5", the distance across the waist is 26.5", and the length is 33". The waist measurement seems quite large for me -- if anyone knows the measurements for the Medium smock, it would be helpful if you posted it. Evidently, due to Covid, most of the AAW customer support folks work from home, but one of them happened to be in the office and took the measurements. Oddly enough, she said that height/weight/waist size would not help determine the best size and that she has sold the Medium size to guys over 6 ft.

Last edited:
Just for reference the XL measures 24" shoulder seam to seam, 28" across the waist and 35" top of shoulder seam to bottom.

Just measured an XL carhardt tee shirt and they are 21"X 26" X 30" respectively, these measurements closely mirror your measurements for a smock size large.
So it seems to me that the AAW smocks are running about one size larger than standard sizing(if there is such a thing). I think a large would probably fit correctly and maybe a medium might be a little snug if you were to subtract about 2" off of your measurements of a large smock.

THANKS for the smock measurements! That helps a lot more than body sizes. Based on that my 2001 AAW smock is an XL (was quarter zip that I had my wife put a full zipper in almost immediately), but I think I’d actually order an L. May not be ordering though as wife says it’d be easy for her to make...I may be getting a Christmas present :)

I talked to the AAW and they measured the Large smock. They said the shoulder seam-to-seam is 21.5", the distance across the waist is 26.5", and the length is 33". The waist measurement seems quite large for me -- if anyone knows the measurements for the Medium smock, it would be helpful if you posted it. Evidently, due to Covid, most of the AAW customer support folks work from home, but one of them happened to be in the office and took the measurements. Oddly enough, she said that height/weight/waist size would not help determine the best size and that she has sold the Medium size to guys over 6 ft.
Ron I have a medium and can measure for you, if you explain how to do it. Pretend you're explaining to a 3 year old.

With normal clothes I usually wear a medium, but in things that shrink I sometime need a large. I swim in my 5 year old AAW smock in a medium size. Also, have they put a hanging loop on it yet? You'd a thunk something sold by woodturners for woodturners would come with a way to hang it up....

Ron I have a medium and can measure for you, if you explain how to do it....I swim in my 5 year old AAW smock in a medium size.
Dean -- thanks so much for the offer to measure the Medium smock. I've attached a sketch of the 3 measurements of interest. It is interesting that the medium size is very roomy for you. What suit size do you normally wear? I'm a 40R. - Ron
AAW Smock.jpg

I wore an XL before my heart attack ... 4 years and -55 pounds later, the L fits me just fine. I am 5'11", 170 pounds, 34" waist.

Across the top, from sleeve stitching to sleeve stitching is 21.5".
Across the trunk depends on where you measure, but at the level on your graphic, is 26.5". At the base of the venting fabric in the arm pit, it's 25".
From the base of the collar, in back, to the hem is 32.375".
It's hard to see from the attached photo, but they are cut in a trapezoid.

It's been 40 years since I bought a suit (never had to sit next to a judge since, thank goodness) and at that time I was a 40R. I'm the same height and weight, but the distribution has changed some in the interval. I'm probably a 42R now.

Attachments

• AAWsmock.gif
    AAWsmock.gif
    103.3 KB · Views: 14

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I wore an XL before my heart attack ... 4 years and -55 pounds later, the L fits me just fine. I am 5'11", 170 pounds, 34" waist.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I've lost 35 pounds since my CABG* a year ago. Of all things, the stinking pandamecic can be credited with helping me lose weight (staying at home and eating a lot less). I would like to get down to 170 pounds, but I've been stuck on 180 for the last couple months. What's very enlightening is carrying something that weighs about 30 pounds a short distance and then seeing how much easier it is to walk when I am not carrying that heavy load around. Basically, a year ago I was carrying that heavy load around all the time.

*For those amongst us who have yet to go through the experience, CABG (pronounced "cabbage") stands for coronary artery bypass graft.

Across the top, from sleeve stitching to sleeve stitching is 21.5".
Across the trunk depends on where you measure, but at the level on your graphic, is 26.5". At the base of the venting fabric in the arm pit, it's 25".
Thanks for the measurements -- are you sure that is a Medium and not a Large smock?

Dean you sure that's not a large size you have there, those measurements are identical to what the AAW quoted for Ron and that was a large.
I ordered a medium and the tag says M. If it's actually a mislabeled Large, that would explain the swimming.

Good to know they've added a hanging loop. Did they also extend the lining to the very top of the zipper? (Mine lacks about 3/4" from full length and my adam's apple doesn't like the 7 grit sandpaper effect)

And :p to you, Tim.

I ordered the Large smock from DAW and measured it. As shown in the photo, the shoulder width is 22-1/2”, the waist width is 27-1/2”, and the length is 32-1/2” . The neck circumference is 15-1/2”. There is a loop for hanging the smock. There is one front-chest pocket, two rear pockets, and one small pocket on the left sleeve. For me (5’ 11”, 175 lbs) it is the ideal size. The Small would have choked me too much and the XL would be like a tent. The neck has stretchable material in the back which provides tension around the neck and keeps wood chips out, but I wish there was a Velcro adjustment for larger or smaller neck sizes. I do find myself feeling choked occasionally, but that may just be my own idiosyncrasy. I hope this helps those who are looking to buy a smock.Large Smock_cr.jpg

Back