• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Harvey T60-S updade

I have had my Harvey T60-S lathe now for a couple of months. It is very smooth running and very heavy duty. I have found the remote style on off switch is great and I use it quite a bit turning large, sharp edged bowls. The quality of the cast iron is very good, with a few lumpy spots on the painted area of the outside of the bed. The tail stock is very smooth in operation and it came with a great live center.
The spindle lock is very useful, but wish it were visible on the front of the machine; as it is easy to forget it's locked.
The Banjo is kind of sticky on the ways; This may be due to the shear weight and my weak shoulder.
The provided tool rest is very good but I had to file the edges as they were sharp enough to cut my hand. I should have checked that before using it.
It has tons of torque for coring in the low range.
The swing away tail rest is great also. I swing it over and stick magnetic lights on the spots that the tail stock isn't covering.
I have used the sliding head stock several times to turn bowls. I like the extra maneuvering room and a bit of a better position for my old back.
I bought this lathe on sale for 4999, I see of course that now they have knocked another 500 off that sale price. Figures.

If you happen to live in the Western side of Washington State: I have the only T60 up here. Your welcome to come see it. Hoodsport area.

IMG_6105.JPG IMG_6100.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have had my Harvey T60-S lathe now for a couple of months. It is very smooth running and very heavy duty. I have found the remote style on off switch is great and I use it quite a bit turning large, sharp edged bowls. The quality of the cast iron is very good, with a few lumpy spots on the painted area of the outside of the bed. The tail stock is very smooth in operation and it came with a great live center.
The spindle lock is very useful, but wish it were visible on the front of the machine; as it is easy to forget it's locked.
The Banjo is kind of sticky on the ways; This may be due to the shear weight and my weak shoulder.
The provided tool rest is very good but I had to file the edges as they were sharp enough to cut my hand. I should have checked that before using it.
It has tons of torque for coring in the low range.
The swing away tail rest is great also. I swing it over and stick magnetic lights on the spots that the tail stock isn't covering.
I have used the sliding head stock several times to turn bowls. I like the extra maneuvering room and a bit of a better position for my old back.
I bought this lathe on sale for 4999, I see of course that now they have knocked another 500 off that sale price. Figures.

If you happen to live in the Western side of Washington State: I have the only T60 up here. Your welcome to come see it. Hoodsport area.

View attachment 33072 View attachment 33073

Looks like a nice lathe! :D

One thing I feel would be necessary for a remote control box.....is RPM adjustment. Without it, it does seem a little self-defeating of the purpose to keep you out of the danger zone.....well, except for an emergency shut-down.......

-----odie-----

Update; now they have knocked off a thousand dollars. I guess most companies are not doing as well with this crazy virus.

It's interesting, that web page lists a price, but then has a clickable that says: "get the latest price". I wonder if they're trying to price lathes like oil and airline seats, according to demand.

I think the Made in China company is a general wed site that many companies use and some companies don't always put their prices there, so it's a general format question.

The made in china one does not have a servo motor in the picture and it's 1/2 the retail price, I don't really trust that site at all.

The made in china one does not have a servo motor in the picture and it's 1/2 the retail price, I don't really trust that site at all.

You may never get a lathe from those direct from china sites. Not to mention an answer when it gets there all messed up and missing parts.

Hi John, Thanks for the info, so you have tried to be in contact with them, I thought it might be too good to be true, anyway i already sent them a bunch of questions, let's see what they say. There's probably no service here but then again I not sure what backup I'll get from the USA, i live in Bogota Colombia.

I just saw that the power requirement is AC 230V, 50Hz. Don't know if that makes a difference, it will change the speed a bit but I don't know if it will affect the electronics.

Back