• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Harrison Specialty Hollow Form Setup Review

Posted earlier that I received this today and thought it was worth a new post to give my review. My first thoughts while unpacking is that they took great care to get it to me in great shape. I thought the tolerances seemed very tight and my concern was whether the setup would shake loose once I turned on the lathe. I have to say, I can't believe how well this setup performs. I admit, I am still a newbie and haven't tried any other HF setup but I'm not sure how it could be better. The action was completely smooth, everything stayed in place, the laser never got off track, hardly any chatter (the only time there was it was user error, my tool rest came loose and sank) and it cleaned the wood very nicely.

I almost felt like I was cheating...it was too flawless. I had to pull myself away from the shop to get some sleep but I guarantee, I am giving it another go, first thing in the morning. If you are looking for a HF setup, I highly recommend this....and no, I have nothing to do with the company.
20140326_005401.jpg

I hope the cutter in the swan neck isn't as big as the cutter on the straight. That's a LOT of cutter for hollow vessels! Nearly everyone uses a 3/16" bit on rigs that size.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
what I have ...

I bought a Rolly Munro carbide cutter for my boring bar system. It is very pricey, but it has some features that I really like and eventually I recovered from the sticker shock. :rolleyes: The carbide cutter is similar to the Hunter carbide tools with an edge that actually cuts somewhat like a hook tool instead of just scraping and ... unlike a hook tool, it has an adjustable guard over the cutter to prevent digging into the wood.

I'm a bit confused :rolleyes:
just exactly what is this system designed to do?
is it the same type set-up as Carter Hollow Roller Captive Hollow Turning System for doing deep hollow vessels where a standard gouge won't/can't reach ?
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/7/2/32/132/-/-/10002742/

Or, is this something completely different and for general usage for all hollow vessels?
It appears to be like my carter system, so just checking as I'd like to know more ...........

is it the same type set-up as Carter Hollow Roller Captive Hollow Turning System for doing deep hollow vessels where a standard gouge won't/can't reach ?

Or, is this something completely different and for general usage for all hollow vessels?
It appears to be like my carter system, so just checking as I'd like to know more ...........

Jerry
First of all, love your sig line. Have told many people about it.

I bought the setup for hollow forms, getting to those areas I can't with a standard tool. I personally like the articulating arm (so smooth) and the way the shaft of the tool mounts to it and the way it glides across the tool rest. I feel very safe using it but again, I am new so don't have experience that other's have. I was really attracted to it because of the price and was a little nervous that it would be flimsy. Farthest from the truth. Excellent tool

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

The earlier hollowing rigs were designed for work where the reach over the tool rest is too great for hand held turning. It was probably when the Elbo tool came along that the idea of using the same idea in a more compact form on smaller hollow forms and/or on smaller lathes was a reasonable extension of taking advantage of the benefits of large hollowing rigs. The articulated arm mechanism works very effectively in replacing the captive bar with something that requires less space. It's disadvantage would be slightly higher cost. It also is limited in its range of depth while still being compact for anybody wanting to do really deep hollowing.

Last edited:
Scott, LMAO over the sig, was initially my reasoning with the wife when she started on the "honey do" list
somehow has grown and stuck with me in past 10 or so years, the line works for almost anything now :)
and is good to hear your review of a product that has actually been tried, let's me (and other people) know if it's worth the purchase

Bill, from the site I viewed (link you posted) it's actually cheaper than the Carter system I got
But, the one aspect of product info I read that I liked was that it was a system good for people who have hard time (or can't) stand at lathe for long periods of time
I can only endure 20 - 30 minutes at a time, then have to sit and take a break.
If I could use a system like that while sitting (safely), then I could complete a piece in 1 sitting without having to take a break
which is a big plus in my circumstances.
Dunno if I could sit & turn with the Carter system I have (haven't tried the system yet), but I highly doubt it.

Back