• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gum Balls

A couple Sweet Gum trees in my yard shed spiky balls from time to time. Until now, all they've done for me is to make barefoot walking uncomfortable. But I discovered they're convenient for supporting something to be coated on opposing surfaces. Three of them make a tidy tripod, with minor imperfections on the coated surface. Here's a piece of Bald Cypress with end-grain sealer applied to both ends.

Joe

Attachments

• 100_0080.JPG
    100_0080.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 198
Well, Joe, I knew there had to be a use for those darn things. I am glad you found it. I think you should package up gumballs and sell them as tripods. To help you along on your way to establishing a successful business you are welcome to come and rake and haul away all the gumballs that fall in my yard from two trees each year. That would be equivalent to several tons it seems when I am trying to mow.....:p

Great idea! :)

NOW! Come up with a good use for those darn seed pods off the Catalpa trees that cover the place. :mad: PLEASE!!! :(

Great idea! :)

NOW! Come up with a good use for those darn seed pods off the Catalpa trees that cover the place. :mad: PLEASE!!! :(

In my mis-spent youth, they were called Indian Cigar trees. And were used for that very purpose. No nicotine, AFAIK, but there could be possibilities. Oh, you asked for good uses.:eek:

Back