1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Guilio Marcolongo

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Emiliano Achaval, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I had the privilege to host Guilio Marcolongo for a week. This is my second time hosting him. He's an amazing turner, great teacher and a good friend. He doesn't like playing tourist, so we turned every day. I took advantage of him and got some ideas for upcoming articles in Woodturning UK magazine. In a sense, I will be passing on his ideas, his designs, and using his inspiration. He's not a writer or photographer, so its a win-win situation for both of us. His club demo was live-streamed on Facebook, we had over 22 members attending. I never thought the AAW Chapter club was going to be so much fun, that I was going to meet so many people, make so many new friends, learn so much. It has surpassed my expectations. I have to thank Linda Ferber for encouraging me to start the club, at first I dismissed the idea, like, yeah right, start a club? With her help along every step, we did it.
    Guilio is leaving early in the morning, club secretary and treasurer Wayne Omura is taking him to the airport at 4am, as a gift he gave me his smock! Truly an honor.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I see that you found your razor. :D

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  3. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Umm, what's a razor????

robo hippy

4. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    robohippy, you can buy kits and turn nice handles for them. Guaranteed to make you look 20 years younger. It worked for my sister-in-law.

5. Bill Boehme

Location (City & State):
    Home Page:
    You really do like to skate on thin ice don't you? :eek:

6. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I could safely make that statement because I don't have a sister-in-law

7. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    It must be my sensitive skin, but I never did like shaving. Used to shave every 10 years, just for shock event, including Halloween, but it has been 20 some thing years..... Never more! Must have worn off on my Dad who was clean shaven forever until some years back when he grew out a beard...

robo hippy

8. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My SIL has a good sense of humor. Had a beard twice in my life. First time it was messy due to a bad sinus infection. Second time I had a profuse nose bleed over five days. Wrote off the soup strainer after that.

9. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    Emilano, I'm extremely excited that Guilio's experience, skill and creativity will be shared more widely. Unfortunate for me, I 'discovered' him just after he decided not to travel to Utah for symposia any longer. Please post when your articles start to appear so we can find them.

10. Emiliano Achaval

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I believe he is going to come to the next Utah symposium. The last one got canceled.. He really likes to come to that one. I will keep you guys updated here when my collaboration articles come out.

11. Bill Boehme

Location (City & State):
    Home Page:
    I zoomed in on the picture and saw that Guilio has got to be be a really nice guy to give you the shirt off his back.

12. Emiliano Achaval

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    He surprised me the last day, he was packing, was giving me a lot of things, CA glue, sandpaper, EEE wax, Aussie Juice, and then he handed me the smock!! Had a great time, and we have become good friends. Got love the woodturning world.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  13. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    People like that are rare in this day and time. Glad you had a good time visiting and learning.

14. Bill Boehme

Location (City & State):
    Home Page:
    I guess that after he saw the kind of work that you could do he just decided to give it up and go home. :D

15. Rick Crawford

Rick Crawford

Location (City & State):
    Astoria, Oregon
    He is also involved in the international collaboration events. I met him at CollaboratioNZ 2011 in New Zealand, and saw him again at CollaborationWA in Australlia in 2018. He is truly a genuine person, one very easy to talk to and work with.

Bill Boehme and Emiliano Achaval like this.