• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Green box elder bowl blank question.

I've got a nice 12" x 4" piece of waxed and green box elder just chomping at the bit to get on the lathe.

I'd like to turn it start to finish. Is this a pipe dream or should I rough it down to 5/8" or so and set aside to dry?

This will be my first box elder turning. I've turned a few bowls in green walnut and some dry maple...

Any advice is appreciated.

Tony Latham:cool:

bowl

hi tony,

if you decide too rough turn your bowl you will want to leave the walls 10% of the diamiter.12 inch = 1.25inchs if you want too turn start to finish i would say .25inchs all the way through the blankshould be fine.

Start to finish means you'll have a warped bowl. If you want near round, you'll have to TDT (Turn Dry Turn). While 5/8 would probably be enough thickness on a straight-grained shallow slope piece, you might want to leave a bit over, though not as much as an inch and a quarter, if the grain is irregular. Watch your shape, too. Broad bottoms and steep sides are more likely to split on you, as are thick walls. I find anything between 3/4 and an inch is a pretty good pick for a 12" or larger bowl. Gives me some insurance against rogue grain and a bit of restyle room if I change my mind.

If you want to let it warp, take it to 3/8 or less.

Back