• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Great Video for Beginners

Bowl Turning by John Jordan. Bought this on amazon for around $15 and worth so much more. I highly recommend it. It has answered a lot of head scratching questions for me and probably the best part for me as a beginner is how he shows the relationship of the tool to the wood, the angle and so forth. I could go on and on. I watch a bit and then go to the lathe, then repeat.

Thought I'd pass along.

Hi Scott, and thanks for the referral, will check it out, always looking for good material with a quality presentation ....
I also recommend any of the 3 sets from Jimmy Clewes (@ Craft Supplies), little more money, but he does the same type presentation
you see what he's doing, and he explains why several different ways, and also shows you what happens when something goes wrong.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Jimmy Clewes really raised the bar on instructional videos several years ago. I think that his first one was titled, "Turnaround". Before that, all of the woodturning videos were very amateurish looking despite the fact that many were done by "professionals" including many by Fine Woodworking. Anyway he shifted a few paradigms and now we're benefiting from better video productions as a result.

I will definitely check out the Jimmy Clewes videos. My opinion is that I can't watch enough. The video I referenced was really a "true" beginners video in the sense of how to attack the bowl. I have to say one flaw that I had up to watching the video is that I was "scraping" with my bowl gouge as opposed to "cutting" in a lot of instances. I've taken a step back, to the basics, and really practicing my cuts to get a better, finished quality in the end.

Have a great week everyone.

you're correct Kruger, both Turn It Up, and Turn It On, have demonstrations including finishing/dying tips
and next week I have 3 days where I get him all alone (well, I have to share time with 3 other people)
He's going to regret signing me up for 3 day workshop, as I already have tons of questions for him LMAO
been counting the days, needless to say I'm excited with anticipation :D

Bill, I agree about the quality, just from my limited experience with instructional videos
but have seen a definite difference in quality increasing (when comparing the production dates)

Another Good Bowl Turning Video

I think that the Lyle Jamieson Video "Bowl Basics The Easy Way" is also very good .It is two DVD's and covers basics of turning to completed bowl and discussions of different cuts. It costs a little more (about $39) I think it is worth the investment.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
I think that the Lyle Jamieson Video "Bowl Basics The Easy Way" is also very good .It is two DVD's and covers basics of turning to completed bowl and discussions of different cuts. It costs a little more (about $39) I think it is worth the investment.

Lyle has put this on YouTube in segments so anyone can watch for free. https://www.youtube.com/user/JamiesonLyle

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks for the info Scott. I just ordered it on Amazon for $12.95.

Jerry, I also ordered the Jimmy Clewes "Back to Basics" DVD at Craft Supplies. Looks like I've got lots of beginner material. Time to lose those bad habits I've taught myself:)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Bowl Turning by John Jordan. Bought this on amazon for around $15 and worth so much more. I highly recommend it. It has answered a lot of head scratching questions for me and probably the best part for me as a beginner is how he shows the relationship of the tool to the wood, the angle and so forth. I could go on and on. I watch a bit and then go to the lathe, then repeat.

Thought I'd pass along.

I believe I have this video, and probably it's the same one I have on VHS. It must have been around 1990 when I purchased it, along with a few others. Yes, I agree that it's good for those who haven't yet established their own "turning persona", or who you are as a turner....... As with all videos from all sources, do not let them become you. It's easy to allow yourself to become less individualistic by all the voluminous material out there. If that concerns, then it is an obvious conclusion to use a few good videos, books, discussions as a springboard for allowing yourself to blaze your own trails.

ooc

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I believe I have this video, and probably it's the same one I have on VHS. It must have been around 1990 when I purchased it, along with a few others. Yes, I agree that it's good for those who haven't yet established their own "turning persona", or who you are as a turner....... As with all videos from all sources, do not let them become you. It's easy to allow yourself to become less individualistic by all the voluminous material out there. If that concerns, then it is an obvious conclusion to use a few good videos, books, discussions as a springboard for allowing yourself to blaze your own trails.

ooc

Odiie, I agree with you about having your own persona. But I think that getting to the point where you can requires a solid set of skills as a springboard. The more you can soak up, he more you know, the better you are able to really find a personal direction. But as you say, one has to question and not just accept.

The reason I joined this forum is to interact with experienced, knowledgable turners like yourself who have a point of view, and to learn everything I can. And for me, the difference between reading the posts and researching as a lurker, and now being able to have a conversation, is huge.

Hopefully in the (distant) future, I'll be in a position to help someone the same way you guys are helping me.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odiie, I agree with you about having your own persona. But I think that getting to the point where you can requires a solid set of skills as a springboard. The more you can soak up, he more you know, the better you are able to really find a personal direction. But as you say, one has to question and not just accept.

The reason I joined this forum is to interact with experienced, knowledgable turners like yourself who have a point of view, and to learn everything I can. And for me, the difference between reading the posts and researching as a lurker, and now being able to have a conversation, is huge.

Hopefully in the (distant) future, I'll be in a position to help someone the same way you guys are helping me.

Yes, Mark.......I understand, and agree....

Get the information, be informed.....but allow yourself to be the judge of how information is processed, and used. I think you understand this, and I think you'll also agree that a solid set of skills are only relevant to the results you are capable of producing with them. There are, IMHO, many new turners who have a solid set of rules given to them that they feel is the pathway to acquired skills......but, are responding to advice that doesn't work for them. Not saying these rules don't work for anyone, but certainly they don't work for everyone equally.

In another thread recently, we saw some Japanese turners who were bracing their tool a long distance over the tool rest to a clockwise spinning bowl and cutting on the interior of the opposite side of the bowl. If someone from our group started speaking of such a thing, that person would be considered a bit loony.......but there you see it happening with your own eyes, and it's an example of results acquired by someone thinking entirely outside of the mainstream thought we are continually exposed to here. That is only an example, but the point is that good results can, and do happen for those who are creative, and live outside the current mainstream thought.

ooc

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Yes, Mark.......I understand, and agree....

Get the information, be informed.....but allow yourself to be the judge of how information is processed, and used. I think you understand this, and I think you'll also agree that a solid set of skills are only relevant to the results you are capable of producing with them. There are, IMHO, many new turners who have a solid set of rules given to them that they feel is the pathway to acquired skills......but, are responding to advice that doesn't work for them. Not saying these rules don't work for anyone, but certainly they don't work for everyone equally.

In another thread recently, we saw some Japanese turners who were bracing their tool a long distance over the tool rest to a clockwise spinning bowl and cutting on the interior of the opposite side of the bowl. If someone from our group started speaking of such a thing, that person would be considered a bit loony.......but there you see it happening with your own eyes, and it's an example of results acquired by someone thinking entirely outside of the mainstream thought we are continually exposed to here. That is only an example, but the point is that good results can, and do happen for those who are creative, and live outside the current mainstream thought.

ooc

Odie,
Can't argue with you here, and ain't inclined to. Every creative arts area has had its share of innovators and the critical orthodoxy. Painting for example. From renaissance through Impressionism, Dadaism, surrealism and on, people questioned or challenged the common view and then went on to create an entire new school of thought.

But boy could they paint, and ultimately we all benefit from their view. Even if we reject it.

Back