• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

'Grease' on tools

Here's a true newbie question for you. My wonderful kids gave me a mini lathe for my birthday and I already see a paler complexion in the mirror. When I recieved my accessories, the chisels had a sticky coating on them and the centers and pen mandrel had grease on them. What's the best way to remove this stuff. I used some orange degreaser on the lathe bed, cuz I just couldn't possibly wait another second, but there will hopefully be a nice scroll chuck coming soon and the chisels produce a black guck when sharpened.

Thanks for the help.

Dean

That greasy stuff is likely to be cosmoline or something similar to retard oxidation. It can be cleaned off with mineral spirits (also described here).

You can search other discussions here for recommendations for best products to use thereafter for protecting bare metal on lathe bed, saw tables, etc.

"Grease" on tools

I posted a similar thread when I got my turning tools. I cleaned them with denatured alcohol. After use, I wiped them down and put a thin coat of WD-40 on them. I got a bunch of tools when my father passed away 8 years ago. He lived in Louisiana and Florida. Humidity ruined a lot of them and I trashed them.
Don't forget to wipe them off before using as the WD-40 or whatever you use can cause finish problems. Some turners said that they don't coat them, just wipe with a clean cloth after using and put them away. I'm leary of letting steel rust.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If your worried about rust just coat the tools with a paste wax after you clean them. I use Johnson's floor wax. I use it to coat my table saw, jointer, etc. I did stop using it on the lathe simply because WD-40 is faster and I use the lathe a lot so cleaning is a must.

If your worried about rust just coat the tools with a paste wax after you clean them. I use Johnson's floor wax. I use it to coat my table saw, jointer, etc. I did stop using it on the lathe simply because WD-40 is faster and I use the lathe a lot so cleaning is a must.
I'm not worried about rust, I just hate the black guck that builds up when I sharpen the chisels and would like to get it all off at once. It looks like I've got the other stuff reasonably free of grease.
Thanks for the replies.
Dean

Back