• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

glue up paper

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way and what to use to glue pages to make a turning blank.
There were 2 articles in the April 2011 American Woodturner

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Sandra I read the articles and I'm very interested. I have wondered if you could just soak a book in a gallon of yellow glue, pull it out, press and squeegee it until it's again flat. then clamp it and let is sit. It's just a thought and I haven't had time to try it. the other methods seem very time consuming. I'll be interested in what people have to say.

I would probably try a foam roller and thinned glue in a paint tray. I don't think soaking will work, especially in a book form, since watching Myth Busters. On Myth Busters, they took two books, and wove everyother page together. It took a military tank to pull them apart. There is so much contact area with pages in a book, I don't think glue would soak in.

Reguardless of the method of glueing the pages, it will take a long time for the glue to dry. A fellow in the local club tried it and did not let the pages set long enough, when he went to turn it he got into wet glue.

After letting the glue set up for a while, a vacuum bag ( kiln ) might be the ticket.
Or just a refrigerator kiln.
Weight the book, just like wood to determine moisture.

mark

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think soaking in thin glue will work. I've helped a neighbor whose house got flooded. the books were practically glued together just from the being soaked in water and then drying out. I can't help but believe glue of the proper viscosity would find it's way into the pages.
Still, probably the best way is to coat each page individually.
I saw the Mythbusters episode. That was pretty cool. Watched one yesterday where they compared Armor made of paper to armor made of steel. The paper did equally well at stopping arrows, swords and antique firearms. Neither of them did well when shot with a modern 45.

As I have seen it done, it was glued up a page at a time because the glue viscosity will not penetrate far enough in to the center. Motorized glue roller trays make fast work of it if you can find one. The glue roller spins providing an even coat of glue on the roller, you hold a page or board over the top and as you pass the board over the top you quickly get a uniform application of glue. Custom cabinet shops have them.

Back