• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

general woodwork forum recommendatIons

Sorry that this has nothing to do with turning (mod's, delete this if needed), but I want to do some general woodworking research and I'm looking for some good forum recommendations. Your ideas are appreciated, thanks.

I second Sawmill Creek.

The Lumberjocks forum is pretty active and has a lot of good content.

There is also tons of info on YouTube. Stumpy Nubs (James Hamilton) is one YouTuber who is pretty popular.

(edited to remove a misleading statement about the Lumberjocks forum)

Last edited:
SMC is the only forum to charge for services. I know the fee isn't much, but it did bother me when they implemented it. I think posts have gone down since they did it. The AAW seems to be the most active woodturning forum that I participate in. I love Woodcentral, but they are not as active as they used to be. One feature of this site that I REALLY like is how when you click on a thread, it goes to the last post you read. No other forum has that...

robo hippy

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
AFAIK you have to pay to use this forum as well. Isn't it restricted to AAW members?

Every forum I use (certainly all of the Xenforo and vBulletin-based ones) will take you to the first unread post in a thread, usually by clicking a specific spot in the post title (in SMC it's a blue down-arrow icon). I absolutely agree it would be very convenient for it to be the default behavior, but I guess I'm trained now so it doesn't bother me.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
AFAIK you have to pay to use this forum as well. Isn't it restricted to AAW members?
Nah I don't believe so - I was reading up on the forum info somewhere when I first signed up (trying to figure out if I had a member ID, being on 3 month trial at the moment) and noticed in their FAQ they said it isn't JUST aaw members that can join.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I'd come across a few of them before but I didn't know how well respected they may be. I'll go exploring. Thanks again!

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Nah I don't believe so - I was reading up on the forum info somewhere when I first signed up (trying to figure out if I had a member ID, being on 3 month trial at the moment) and noticed in their FAQ they said it isn't JUST aaw members that can join.

I think the right answer is that, like SMC, anyone can join and get most of the forum services for free and then there are some extras (related to posting pictures) that come with paid membership. At least that's what it said when I started to create a new account.

Back