1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Found a tool

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Gerald Lawrence, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

0B101C3D-D25D-4833-A0CB-E1F98D4A56C8.jpeg Found this scraper at an estate sale. The tip is brazed on and about and about an inch wide , slightly less than 3/8 thick. The cut back area from the tip is 4 inches long. Now my question is was this some sort of test or independent manufactured item.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  2. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

Could be Tantung like Robo Hippy uses.

3. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

On a scraper, I would expect the brazed-on bit to sit on top of the main part, not under. Yet the bit looks worn on the side facing the camera. Would you mind sharing a picture taken from the side?

4. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Looks like a DIY to me.

5. robo hippy

robo hippy

Well, that does look similar to the Big Ugly tool, a couple of videos on You Tube. The tantung is rather brittle, and you don't hang much off of the metal because it can chip. I used 7/8 inch wide bar stock to support a 1 inch wide strip of tantung. I haven't seen one that looked like that. I would guess that the wide part of the bar stock is the handle.

robo hippy

6. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

FD905863-02E1-4D62-B16B-4290EA42B48C.jpeg 4DB8A0FD-386E-4725-91BD-B9B7D0CFD402.jpeg 58AFBEB7-921D-47F7-B0F3-6557080F789D.jpeg Some other views of the tool. I resharpened it yesterday and took a long time to do that. Must be real hard. Phots of full tool, close of the joint, and full side.