• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forum turning of the week

Do need to do anything specific to submit a photo for Turning of the week, or do the editors of the weekly news letter just scan submissions? How many megapixels are required for a submission?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Generally, images are selected that have some relevance to an article in Woodturning FUNdamentals. Recent (within the last month or two) images are more likely to be selected. Before an image is used for publication you will be contacted to get your approval and also you must be an AAW member.

Generally, images are selected that have some relevance to an article in Woodturning FUNdamentals. Recent (within the last month or two) images are more likely to be selected. Before an image is used for publication you will be contacted to get your approval and also you must be an AAW member.
Thanks, any specs on the megapixels.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Pixel dimensions and photo quality (composition, lighting, focus, exposure, white balance, and color profile) go a long way towards making a great photo vs. a casual snapshot. The maximum pixel dimensions are 1920 pixels per side, but for all practical purposes 1200 pixels is more than adequate. The maximum allowed file size in the photo gallery is 1 MB (2 MB for AAW members), but using just a little image compression (in Photoshop for example a value of 10 where maximum quality is 12) will reduce file size considerably with no noticeable change in image quality. I wouldn't worry about megapixels because other things are much more important.

BTW, when you post an image in the gallery be sure to use keywords. This is an indispensable aid to someone searching for a particular type of turning. A good description also helps.

I moved the thread to the Woodturning discussion forum because the Technical Support forum is intended to used for forum software issues (bugs, functionality, etc.)

Pixel dimensions and photo quality (composition, lighting, focus, exposure, white balance, and color profile) go a long way towards making a great photo vs. a casual snapshot. The maximum pixel dimensions are 1920 pixels per side, but for all practical purposes 1200 pixels is more than adequate. The maximum allowed file size in the photo gallery is 1 MB (2 MB for AAW members), but using just a little image compression (in Photoshop for example a value of 10 where maximum quality is 12) will reduce file size considerably with no noticeable change in image quality. I wouldn't worry about megapixels because other things are much more important.

BTW, when you post an image in the gallery be sure to use keywords. This is an indispensable aid to someone searching for a particular type of turning. A good description also helps.

I moved the thread to the Woodturning discussion forum because the Technical Support forum is intended to used for forum software issues (bugs, functionality, etc.)
Thanks again

am i missing something ? or just cant' find it , i didn't even know we had a turning of the week , where can that be viewed or how do we get to that page ?

302C60F2-B6CB-4CE5-B9E3-3B9744BE2096.jpeg
am i missing something ? or just cant' find it , i didn't even know we had a turning of the week , where can that be viewed or how do we get to that page ?
Turning of the week is on the main aaw site not this forum. I just realized I got turning of the week last June, I’ve had 2 or three and they never contacted me, found out about it much later.

Ok, where exactly are they located? I got at least one sometime in late 2019 or maybe early 2020, but I did not see it on the AAW mainpage, or when I logged in to the main site.........maybe I just missed it?

Edit: went back into my posts and my Red Maple Calabsh made turning of the week in April 2019. Still don't know where they show TOTW now on the website, if they still do?

Last edited:
402894B5-12C8-4025-AA8D-EEA3C9D75E11.png C80E6EF0-9094-4112-BC68-CFE1286F3835.png CF05C39B-8AF8-4803-A277-81F53C640BB9.png C9F1D8BA-A9F7-46E5-BEAE-15B9836CB069.png
Ok, where exactly are they located? I got at least one sometime in late 2019 or maybe early 2020, but I did not see it on the AAW mainpage, or when I logged in to the main site.........maybe I just missed it?

Edit: went back into my posts and my Red Maple Calabsh made turning of the week in April 2019. Still don't know where they show TOTW now on the website, if they still do?
I’ll post how I got in,
402894B5-12C8-4025-AA8D-EEA3C9D75E11.pngWWWWC80E6EF0-9094-4112-BC68-CFE1286F3835.pngWWWWCF05C39B-8AF8-4803-A277-81F53C640BB9.pngWWWWC9F1D8BA-A9F7-46E5-BEAE-15B9836CB069.png

So resources, then e-news, then e-news weekly, then you are on the page. Then push on each week's news and you will see the turning of the week.

Back