• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Floyd Hannaford

New to the forum and a newby just starting to really get into turning. Have moved from carbide tools to traditional tools. Learned how to make the 40/40 grind and it is going a lot better with a lot fewer mistakes. Live in Florida so the search for bowl blanks is never ending. Found that practically any fruit tree is prime wood (Mango, avocado Guava and although not a fruit tree Magnolia). Watched every Stuart Batty and Ashley Harwood video available but it is becoming obvious probably need to take a class. Made my first epoxy pour piece this month and it turned out real well. Next is the stabilized wood project using the Cactus Juice stuff. So I'm in this up to my neck. Stay tuned for more steps along the road.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Floyd. It sounds like you are having fun. The great thing about woodturning is that there is no end to new things to learn. I've been turning seventeen years and still learning. Maybe fifty years from now I might know it all.

Back