• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Flexible hose for vacuum chuck hookup

I use a vacuum chuck quite a bit, with a Gast pump hooked up to the spindle port on my Robust AB. Right now, it's connected with 3/8" rubber compressed air hose and that works pretty well, but it's a little stiff and hard to manage when I move the headstock. I'm wondering if there's some alternative that is more flexible, thus more easily coiled up. My local Ace hdwe has some compressed-air hose that is definitely more flexible but I have my doubts about whether it will work or not. Holding pressure is one thing, holding vacuum is another - this stuff might collapse. Anyone have a suggestion for a more-flexible alternative to the standard rubber compressed air hose? Thanks.

I use 1/4" rubber air hose sold by the foot at the local True Value hardware. It seems to be more flexible than the 3/8", even when my shop is at 35F, and there's plenty of suck at the vacuum chuck.

Hi David, you're right, you have to be careful with compressor hose. I use braided clear high pressure tubing from McMaster Carr. They show a rating for both pressure and vacuum. They sell both a hard and soft variety (not sure what I have). It's not that expensive. It is rated at 29 in of Hg. It's not as flexible as rubber air hose but I use it on my AB and it seems fine to me.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I use thick-wall tygon (clear vinyl). It is neither vey flexible nor does it coil nicely. It's what I (and everyone else) used for decades in the lab on any vacuum system, as an upgrade to the red rubber hose with 1/2" thick walls. I suppose a better choice would be a better choice! Never even thought about it.

My vacuum bagging system uses a much skinnier hard yellow plastic hose that won't stretch out and lay flat at all. It coils all too well. Not a better choice.

I use cheap possibly 3/8 vinyl from Lowes. Super pliable, weighs next to nothing and works like a charm.

Stretching the subject a touch; I typically hook up my Vacuum Chuck when I want to use it. I always wonder if I could just leave it hooked up...as long as my Chuck or faceplates work. Any thoughts on this?

Russ, my only reaction is why stress the bearing more than you need to? It only takes a minute to put the tube in the handwheel.

I recommend taking the vacuum system off too. My Oneway connector got warm when I ran it at normal turning speeds without removing it. That tells me that practice will drastically reduce the working life of the adaptor. It just takes a few minutes to unscrew it from the spindle and put the handwheel back on.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I use braided vinyl tubing similar to what GRJensen showed; and I do not leave my vacuum system set up when I am not using it (all the components come off the lathe and are stored in a drawer).

The Oneway adapter for the Powermatic is a pita to get on and off. Mine's been on for years without any problems. Yet.

I pull my vacuum system off the lathe and park it in the corner when I am not using it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had my hand wheel.bored to accept the bearing I use on mynvacuum chuck so I can install.or remove it in seconds. I use a thin piece of closed cell.foam in the bottom of the opening .to seal the vacuum and that just stays in the hole. I still.turn a lot of spindles and eed to use the draw bar a lot so leaving the vacuum.chuck inmplace isnt an option. I am looking for a more flexible tubing. I bought the clear braided line from the hardware store but it becomes very stiff after a few years.

I forget his name and he passed a while back but he made vacuum adapters. I bought the adapter that fit into the hand wheel of the Powermatic, it has 2 o rings that seals it. I was so impressed that I bought hand wheels he made for my jet and my Delta 46-460s to use the adapter. I don't leave it in but its 1 second in and 1 second out. Craft Supplies has what looks like the exact same adapter in the catalog but it has been unavailable for about a year. I have purchased bearings to make my own as I made up another vacuum system and no longer want to wait for Craft Supplies.

Hi Dave,
Hugh Buttrum here. Hope you are well.
I use the braided nylon tubing from the hardware store....like G Jensen.
Hugh

I forget his name and he passed a while back but he made vacuum adapters.
Bill - You might be thinking of the JT Turning Tools vacuum adapter - I got one when I bought my Robust lathe about 9 years ago. They offered it as an accessory. It's the best adapter out there - I've managed to trash a few others over the years, but this one is truly robust.

Tom passed away a few months ago and I don't think there's anyone to carry on. The good news is that Brent at Robust tells me they are making one patterned on the JT version...

Last edited:
Yes it was Tom at JT Turning Tools. I had put an order for one in and paid for it just days before his passing. Took a while but my money was returned (would rather of had the adapter). Mine has to be 12 to 14 years old. Good to know that Robust is making them.

Back