• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First bowls

Here's a short video of my first bowls....comments and suggestions welcomed...and probably needed.
I really want a jaw chuck...it's just one of those things I can tell I'm going to want to procure for my arsenal.
So far I'm not a big fan of using the face plate. It just means that the bottom of any bowl will be the same diameter as the face plate...and with only a 10" swing that means the base will always be at least 1/3 or more the size if the biggest bowl I try to turn. So if I want a bowl of cup or dish with a 3" rim, it'll have to have straight sides.
Other than that, I feel like I'm getting the hang of it, just need a decent bowl gouge I think, 3/8" or so would do the trick.

View: https://youtu.be/GjZMPdEfcT0

Thanks Gary. I did make a glue block I just havent utilized it yet. I'd like to be able to make a tenon on one end,flip it over, and get to town preferably.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You need to use a waste block. That way you won't have s rea holes in the base of your bowls. Learn to reverse turn your boels.and you can make the bottom foot any shape you want. You can find a good method by going ot www.cumberlandwoodturners.com and look up my article on methods to reverse turn bowls.
All the tearout you are getting is partly the wood but mostly looks like you are scraping with the tools rather than riding the bevel. They may also be dull which would add to the problem.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Those are nice bowls for the first ones done. A lot of improvements to be made but a nice start.

just means that the bottom of any bowl will be the same diameter as the face plate.

Not so. As other said when you learn to reverse turn you can remove any or all of the faceplate. I do this on the natural edge bowl.

You can eliminate the tearout with sharp tools, riding the bevel and cutting in the correct direction ( foot to rim on the outside, rim to bottom center in the inside

This thread has two videos from a demo I do on working with green wood
You will see how I use the gouge and the results that need little sanding.
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/working-with-green-wood.11626/
Turning a bowl from wet wood for drying
Returning a dried bowl

This thread is turning a Natural Edge bowl from a crotch.
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/naural-edge-bowl-from-a-crotch.11058/
At the end of the demo I turn all the tenon away to make a footless bowl.

Last edited:
Back