• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First 10 days...

Here are my little learning projects I've completed since turning the lathe on. I've learned a couple things so far that's for sure. Here's a small list I've compiled for new people, even though I am new myself.

1. Sharp tools- All the best equipment, including all the bells and whistles, means absolutely nothing with out sharp tools.

2. Lathe speed- The sharper your tools, the less speed you will require when turning and the less force that will be required to get the tool to engage a line. No need to run the lathe at top speed, ever, so far that I have found.

3. Take breaks- Long sessions at the lathe can turn into work, it's supposed to be fun..so take a break, watch a few youtube videos or whatever, then get back at it.

With that said here is a pic of the first handfuls of little creations. All the spindle work is 2"x2" poplar square dowels from Lowe's. They turn pretty easily and give a good finish when sanded from 150-600.
I also laminated 3 peices of 1x6 and turned a small "bowl" trying to learn faceplate turning. And lastly, I removed the limbs from my Christmas tree, cut the trunk into sections and turned three "live edged" projects. I will say that fresh fir is easy to cut, and finish. The absolute wetness of the wood made it easy to turn, but all the sap and resin wreaks havoc on tools and requires cleaning them more often during turning than I care to complete, but still fun none the less.

I'm going to a $1/board sale tomorrow and hope to pick up some pieces that I can get serious about.
For now here is a pic of my projects.

Attachments

• turned wood (2).jpg
    turned wood (2).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 143
Edward, looks like you are having a lot of fun, and that, to me is what it is all about..... Keep it up...

robo hippy

Yeah man. Looks like fun. Keep after it.

Back