• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finish

Looking to cover a bowl in uniform flat or satin black but running into a problem. Paint shows up lumpy, stain does not completely cover, India ink does not cover. Tried burning but I get shiny spots and ull ones. Any ideas?
Thank you:confused:

Liberon makes what is essentially a shellac with a black stain in it (I have usually used it finials). If the object that you have turned is large, then you might want to dye the object black, and then finish with a black lacquer. It would probably require several coats. As another alternative, I have also used a black spray automotive finish available in most automotive stores. Essentially, it is a black lacquer mix. Spray light coats. I have had to spray up to five or six coats. Good luck with your project.

Matt

What works for me

Try black gesso (available at Michaels), thin it using Acrylic airbrush media, and spray on with an airbrush. A very affordable cheap airbrush is available from Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks.
You can also apply with a brush, it flattens out and really looks great under an oil finish, or spray lacquer.

Back