• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finial sanding

I’m making Christmas ornaments with finials and I’m trying to find the best sandpaper for these. Any suggestions?

Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I sand my ornament finials with Norton 320 and 400. Sheets that I cut into strips using hacksaw blade screwed to plywood with washers under the ends.

This leaves the details crisp.

Most of my finials feature a cove at the top which I sometimes ( some days every time) that I have tips use 220 to smooth the bottom of the cove

Cindy Drozda folds a piece of 400 grit a couple of times to make a pointed wedge shape and lightly sands with it. She doesn't use anything coarser. Not sure what brand, but whatever you select, maybe use a fine grit very lightly to preserve your detail.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use Norton sandpaper from.Woodcraft. I just tear off a small.piece. I shoot for 400 grit but do sometimes need to start with 220. I just fold it in half to get a.crease.to get into the tight areas.

I'm all over the board as to what brand of sand paper I use. For me, most name brand sandpaper works for me. I usually buy what's on sale. :D........ Although I don't make many finials but when I need to get in a tight area, like John Lucas mentioned, I fold a crease in the sandpaper.....

When I was in pen production I bought rolls of 1 inch sandpaper 150 to 400 grit from Penn State Ind. It is called a Modular Pen Blank sandpaper system which I occasionally still use today turning bowls and platters. Happy Turning!

For all but sanding the tightest details, I use SiaSoft foam backed from Vince for hand sanding. That stuff is so flexible, you can fold it over and pinch it tight, and no abrasive cracking at all. Love that stuff.

Cindy Drozda folds a piece of 400 grit a couple of times to make a pointed wedge shape and lightly sands with it. She doesn't use anything coarser. Not sure what brand, but whatever you select, maybe use a fine grit very lightly to preserve your detail.

I made a note from her demo at the AAW symposium: she uses Merka Royal Micro 400, 600, and 1000. Does anyone know where to get this?

Back