• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fiebings Leather Dye

I've made some hollow forms which I dye black with India Ink, and then sand it back to accentuate the grain lines. I'd like to try to do the same with black leather dye, as I've read about people using it to ebonize their pieces. My question is, will the leather dye sand back and leave the grain lines accentuated, the same as my experience with India Ink? Thanks.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
In general Probably not. It will also vary with species. Doug fir or Ash you would likely see the hard part of the grain line after sanding. Because the dye won’t penetrate as deep.

It’s been a long time since I used India ink. I think the ink does not penetrated as deep as the leather dye.
The leather dye is going about a 1/16 inch deep. Unless the wood is porous enough to let it bleed through to the inside.

I have used leather dye on hfs it can bleed through to 3/16 thick camphor when I’m ebonizing the whole piece.
I tried airbrushing leather dyes over resists. It wicks under the resists. Here is a failed experiment on a old demo piece that I tried you can see the dye on the ends of the kokopeli head dress.3661BE14-BE3E-4117-816B-A6B785154A72.jpeg

here is a ball sanded, sandblasted, and leather dyed. The dye is a bit shiny on the sanded surface giving s black on black effect105054E5-E75F-4C36-9C0F-DEA745CFEF6D.jpeg

Last edited:
hockenbery - nice pieces! The wood I want to try it on is Ash. However, if the consensus is that the dye penetrates too deep to be sanded back without taking 1/16" off, I'll probably stick with the India Ink. I'll try it on a piece of Ash I haven't turned yet to see how it sands out.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes feibings leather dye goes in pretty deep. I have colored the inside of thin vessels.and had it bleed all the way through. Not good.

How deep a dye penetrates is carrier dependent, evaporation rate and viscosity. A thicker, fast evaporating carrier wont goes as deep. I suspect a heavier shellac, 2-3# cut, applied in a controlled manner, will limit penetration. Im not sure what the binders and carriers are for leather dye, but easy enough to test adding some to shellac. Solvent lacquer would limit penetration as well.

Back