• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Faux segmentation decoration

Ive been playing getting my feet wet with basket illusion technique and was curious if I could use segment pro to design a pattern. As it is basket illusion doesnt stagger the units of the pattern the way segmentation does but I could easily make a faux segment pattern with the same techniques. I worked up a four layer pattern for a decorative ring in segment pro and proceeded to bead a small bowl with a 1/8” beading tool friction burned them with wire. I used the 144 hole index set to do a staggered 72 segment pattern around the bowl with my pyrography pen in a sled I made from scrap and using a platform I had built after seeing John Lucas demonstrate router embellishing. Afterwards I colored it with colored sharpies and finished with Deft spray varnish.
51D327AF-8092-43CD-A1C1-76D75C04A46D.jpeg E633451A-A3B0-4936-BDDB-26B4CEC899A6.jpeg 4B358FDA-FEA3-4A33-A45B-44737577BA56.jpeg

Gary, I'm not familiar with segment pro but seeing some of the complex designs segmenters come up with I'm sure it could be used. I like the staggered pattern idea you've done. It's different than any basket designs I've seen. If you like the paper, pencil, and eraser method you can print custom graph paper for doodling patterns using this https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/polar/ I've become friends with several basket illusion makers and I've come to the conclusion that each has their own unique technique. But Harvey Meyer who I think is the master, especially at extremely precise patterns, uses a similar sled to yours but with the PJL pen #21A http://www.carvertools.com/ that wraps around the bead and makes a nice consistent burn with a single touch. Another suggestion is to use the Faber Castell India ink brush tip markers. You may have already found that the alcohol based markers like Sharpie and Prismacolor tend to bleed. Be careful, this basket illusion thing can be very addictive.

Yes I found the bleeding problem before I tried decorating anything. I found I could eliminate that with some Deft waterbased poly. On this I painted just the decorative ring and let it dry before spraying the varnish on.
Ive sat in on some of Harveys demos, thats where I got most of my ideas. The beading tips arrive today in the mail, but the tip I was using seemed more appropriate for making a brickwork pattern as the beading grooves were shallow. The pens are on order too.

I think I want to do an actual segmented basket illusion piece for my next project; I guess it wouldn’t be faux, lol! I would like to pick some brains; this looks like a nice group of knowledgeable brains to pick! Since the segments are defined by their joints, could the burning be accomplished by hand, without a jig? My coloring would be done with wood species, any downside to that? Burning lines with wires or Formica; watch YouTube?
Call me crazy, it’s a lot of time to glue something up and then roll the dice in this burning process. I’ve got an itch that needs scratching; any advice would be appreciated!

I think I want to do an actual segmented basket illusion piece for my next project; I guess it wouldn’t be faux, lol! I would like to pick some brains; this looks like a nice group of knowledgeable brains to pick! Since the segments are defined by their joints, could the burning be accomplished by hand, without a jig? My coloring would be done with wood species, any downside to that? Burning lines with wires or Formica; watch YouTube?
Call me crazy, it’s a lot of time to glue something up and then roll the dice in this burning process. I’ve got an itch that needs scratching; any advice would be appreciated!
I would recommend gluing veneer between the segments instead of burning the lines.

Not staggering the segments mean you are using end grain connections, its doable but not as strong by any means. As far as veneer you can glue veneer on the segment stock before cutting for the horizontal and vertical can be cut with a razor blade and put in while gluing up with little difficulty, you just have to calculate the ring size based on the segment length plus the veneer thickness.

Back