• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fan and light pulls?

I just put up an LED light over my desks. The pull is a clear plastic and is held on the chain by a small metal piece with a notch to go between the beads. I would like to turn pulls and find a source for this little piece. Thanks.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Craft supplies has the kit below. Looks like they are turned similar to bottle stoppers
9CE32BDA-9F2C-4F09-ABF6-E3B040CDCF7C.jpeg

This is different from the ones I have done. The pull kits I have used were 1/4” balls on the end of a Length of pull chain. An 1/8” through hole for the chain and a 1/4” blind hole for the ball. A plug could be made to cover the hole or the ball was fine showing too.

you can easily make your own kit similar to the one above by turning a wooden cap with a 1/8” hole that you glue(epoxy) a length of chain in and the glue it into a turned pull. That receives tchoa with a 1/4” hole. A 1/4” drill bit drilled into a block in a duck and left will be a mandrel.
I have a step drive center with various diameters i use for thing like this.

Last edited:
I used to use a pull chain connector as a stop. Drill a through hole for the chain and a counter bore in the bottom to accept the connector. To get the chain thru you can also c'bore the top to clear the chain.

see

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...VkQiICR0NHAixEAQYBCABEgIeWvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can also wrap a thin wire around the chain after it is inserted in your pull to increase the diameter to fit in a c'bore.

With the advent of the remote controllers for ceiling fans and lights the ones you buy now don't require them.

Stu

Check the electric department at your local home center ... in my neck of the woods, Menards has packs of 6 "Brass Connector Pull Chains" for under $2.

Thanks but I don't need the kit or anything else. What I need is a very small piece of flat metal with a notch that slips between the beads and then is pulled into the turned piece. Fits by friction.

"Thanks but I don't need the kit or anything else. What I need is a very small piece of flat metal with a notch that slips between the beads and then is pulled into the turned piece. Fits by friction."

Use a scissors and a soda can or beer can and make what you want, it's even free and you get to enjoy the beverage of your choice.

Stu

"Thanks but I don't need the kit or anything else. What I need is a very small piece of flat metal with a notch that slips between the beads and then is pulled into the turned piece. Fits by friction."

Use a scissors and a soda can or beer can and make what you want, it's even free and you get to enjoy the beverage of your choice.

Stu
I would have a hard time cutting out a piece no bigger than a match head. Don't drink and rarely have a soft drink.

Back