• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Family heirloom

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I was contacted by a former Hawaii resident. he lived on Oahu as a child in the 70's. His father bought the bowl. They have been using the bowl since then. A few months ago, someone dropped it, and the bowl cracked in several pieces. He contacted me about repairing it. I told him I could try. Send it over. 9 pewa later, lots of sanding and thin CA in the cracks, and looks like his family will be able to enjoy the bowl for many more years. I had to refinish the outside. We debated whether to finish the inside. We agreed that I needed to leave several of the knife marks and scratches but lightly sand it. I forgot to take before pictures. The bowl had the most beautiful used looking patina. I felt bad sanding it.
I can only hope that my bowls will be loved, used, appreciated and taken care like this bowl...

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 124
  • repaired.JPG
    repaired.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 124
We need a word for repairing wood bowls such as Kintsugi that applies to the Japanese style of repairing broken pottery. The repair adds character and makes it a prettier object than it was before.

what is size????

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I'm guessing you would agree that a crack, properly addressed, at a minimum returns the focus to the overall piece and typically enhances the piece itself. I regret not joining for your pewa course - I've done a few but not as "crisp" as the ones in the pics.
A mistletoe burl mesquite "blew" several years ago - I glued it back together but never finished it out thinking it inappropriate for a gallery offering - may rethink that - especially if you offer another pewa course. Somehow a butterfly makes it a little more honest.

Very creative. I'm sure that the bowl will continue to be treasured for many generations.

Back