• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

embracing the warp

I am interested in turning a vessel from green wood with a large thin rim or lip and allowing it to warp naturally. What I don't want to do is fight a bunch of cracks. Do any of you have a suggestion as to a variety of wood and/or the grain orientation that might be fun to try?
Thanks
-pat

Lots of people like to turn goblets or vases with sweeping lips or even Saturn-like rings. Make 'em long grain and thin so they won't have problems getting the moisture out. I played the bore and plug or relief cut answers to splits on the bottoms until I realized that the reason they were splitting is because I had them sitting on their bottom, keeping that wet, while the top was free to dry. Now I just lift them up on stickers after shaping the bottom to be reasonably curved underneath.

I have northern hardwoods available, and even red oak seems suitable for this genre when fresh. The softwoods might be a bit of a problem for someone of my skill, perhaps not yours.

Never did a rolled lip on a crossgrain piece. Always figured it'd break.

Walnut

This Walnut piece warped a lot. I jammed chucked it back on the lathe to true the base than took it to the band saw and cut away some of one of the ends that was the most pointed. A little sculpting and it resembles a scoop. The sort you would see in a feed box.
Good luck.

Attachments

• walnut_warp.gif
    walnut_warp.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back