• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

EasyWood Mid Cutters - Screws

When I began turning 2 years ago, I started with EasyWood Carbide Cutters, and loved them. SInce then I have started using more traditional HSS tools, but for quickies here and there, the carbides are still great to use. However, my one gripe is the little hex headed screws that hold the cutters in place. I tried to replace one yesterday, and the screw just would not come out.

I cleaned the head, and tried the little allen wrench they give for replacing the screws, and it would not unloosen. The wrench actually twisted and snapped. I tried another wrench, and the head completely stripped.

So I'm looking for 2 things...
1. How do I drill out these screws (I have never, ever had to do this, and have no idea)
2. Can somebody recommend better screws for these things, ones that don't strip the head so easily?

TIA!

If you have a little cordless impact driver with the proper bit, it works better. The impact shocks it and it releases. But too late for that now. You can break the insert, take it to someone with a TIG welder and they can weld another bolt to it and the heat will help release it, or grind off the head and that will likely ruin the insert too. When you put it back together a bit of anti-seize on the thread and the bolt head does wonders. Stock bolts are fine if you use anti-seize.

You should try calling EasyWood Tools customer service. They are really helpful and they might even replace the tool for you.
They rebuilt my 5 year old chuck for no charge, and they also replaced my two year old parting tool.

You could possibly use a Dremel drill with a round abrasive cutter disc to cut a slot on the top of the screw and use an impact driver with a flat bit to loosen the screw.
You could also try heating the end of the tool which will cause the metal to expand possibly providing a chance for the screw threads to break free with the impact driver.

The only way I know is to break the carbide bit off and then use vise grips to remove screw. Had this hapen on a Hunter and another brand. The carbide breaks fairly easily. Now to the solution so that will not happen again is to loosen the screw after each use and clean and rotate bit.

By all means also call Easy Wood too

Back