1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Dust

Discussion in 'Woodturning Health & Safety' started by Steve Cannon, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Steve Cannon

Steve Cannon

Location (City & State):
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I'm new to turning. Should I buy a face shield with respirator, a ceiling mounted air cleaner or a dust collector. I could use a shop vac at the lathe for dust. What do you think

2. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    Welcome to the forum Steve. It is best if you can, try and collect most of the dust at the source with a good canister type dust collector that has a micron filter. A ceiling mounted dust collector is a good investment. I have one mounted in the ceiling of my small shop. As for personal protection I use a full face sheild and a 3M 100 dust mask. Try not to skimp when it comes to dust collection. Get as much protection from dust as you can afford. ;)

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0266.JPG In the second photo you can see the ceiling dust collector.

Dean Center likes this.
  3. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Welcome to the forum, Steve.

The most important thing is respiratory protection which means either a high quality dust mask such as Lamar mentioned or a respirator with equivalent rating. A dust collector, ceiling mounted air cleaner, and shop vac are all worth having, but they are primarily to keep your shop clean ... they collect the dust that your lungs don't ... if you don't have respiratory protection.

4. Steve Cannon

Steve Cannon

Location (City & State):
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    OK Thanks for the info. I got a trend system last night on ebay so that is a start. I'll start looking at dust collectors, may have to use my shop vac for a while

5. RichColvin

RichColvin

Location (City & State):
    Dublin, OH
    Home Page:
    Lamar,

Where did you get the hood you have on your vacuum inlet?

Kind regards,
    Rich

6. Rob Fridenberg

Rob Fridenberg

Location (City & State):
    Novi, Michigan
    Google Bill Pentz regarding what is recommended for proper dust collection. I know that some folks on the web are not happy with his articles and poo poo his recommendations, but it is worth reading and drawing your own conclusions. My conclusion was to spend the $$$ on a HEPA rated cyclone dust collector and masks. They are a substantial investment - but you pay now or pay later, right?

7. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    Hi Rich, got the hood at Penn State Ind. and it is on sale now. PSI Dust Hood.png

8. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Welcome to the forum. Like you have seen lung and personal protection is priority. Second if turning inside is to limit dust in the air so when you take the personal protection off the air you breath will be cleaner . I have a Dc at lathe and two air cleaners on either side of the shop. Maybe overkill but why risk it you only have one set of lungs.

hockenbery and Bill Boehme like this.
  9. Steve Cannon

Steve Cannon

Location (City & State):
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    thanks for all your imput, got a G860 and an air cleaner on Sat.

Gerald Lawrence likes this.
  10. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Shop Vac won't pull enough air at the lathe Tried it.