• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust Protection

I am trying to update my dust protection from a simple paper mask that I know does very little to protect against the dangerous very fine dust. I would like to avoid a totally enclosed face shield system based mainly on cost and claustrophobia, but would still like something that has real protection. I was looking at respirators but noticed that most are set up with organic vapor filters. Can anyone suggest a product aimed specifically for dust protection?

3M and one other company make the half face respirators you see at home, discount and hardware stores, and they work well. The filter cartridges are replaceable, so if you have vapor cartridges you can buy and fit the particulate kind. Respirators with the vapor cartridges in the package are generally what you'll find, although 3M does make them with the particulate ones. Some cartridges fit the 6000 series models and different ones fit the 7000 series. I'm sorry I can't tell you offhand which filter number to look for and the 3M site is very hard to negotiate to answer the question. My local lumber/building center has both kinds of filters in the 6000 series and I just have to read the package label to tell which I need.

I just found the info on the 3M. In the round filters, #2091 (2097 if you want something to also filter out laquer thinner and such). In the rectangular kind, it's #5N11 (5P97 for the also vapor filters) The web site says Grainger should carry them, and Amazon, Jamestown distributors, and Envirosafety.com all list them.

Dean

Last edited:
It has been my experience that ANYTHING you buy is going to be better then a paper mask. Find one that fits correctly and does not get in the way of your glasses/face shield. If its not comfortable you wont use it. Almost any filter will take care of any of the dust 99% of woodturners will make. Make sure you keep your mask clean and keep it inside of a bag so dust does not collect on it when its not on your face. Also keep the exhalation vents clean as they will plug up with condensation and spit...Dont share masks!

In mine I keep an old one that I really like. Its a single filter with a full rubber mask. The filter is in the front under the chin (sort of) so its out of the way of my vision and does not bump on my face shield.

The only real option other than a dust mask is a hood that almost totally encloses the piece you are working on, and a GOOD dust collector. For me, I mostly turn green wood, and then sand the bowls when they are dry. I made a hood out of a 55 gallon food grade drum/barrel which is white. A piece of plywood screwed into the bottom to sit in the ways when I sand, and a good chunk of one side of the barrel cut off so I can see inside. The bowl is about 75 percent enclosed, and NO dust goes up my nose (tested by sanding black walnut for 6 hours then blowing my nose). It could probably be set up for being in place when turning as well. Just the hose will get a lot of dust. A big gulp type of cup is better, a box of some sort to have it inside is best.

robo hippy

I've got and used the totobobo mask from Vince and don't find it fits as snugly as a half face mask. It's certainly very comfortable, though. I use it when I'm sanding maple or similarly benign woods, but if I really want to keep the allergenic crap out, I use the 3M.

I've got and used the totobobo mask from Vince and don't find it fits as snugly as a half face mask. It's certainly very comfortable, though. I use it when I'm sanding maple or similarly benign woods, but if I really want to keep the allergenic crap out, I use the 3M.

Did you check the website to see how to fit the mask? I had the same problem until I adjusted it now it fits fine and doesn't fog my glasses.

The only real option other than a dust mask is a hood that almost totally encloses the piece you are working on, and a GOOD dust collector. For me, I mostly turn green wood, and then sand the bowls when they are dry. I made a hood out of a 55 gallon food grade drum/barrel which is white. A piece of plywood screwed into the bottom to sit in the ways when I sand, and a good chunk of one side of the barrel cut off so I can see inside. The bowl is about 75 percent enclosed, and NO dust goes up my nose (tested by sanding black walnut for 6 hours then blowing my nose). It could probably be set up for being in place when turning as well. Just the hose will get a lot of dust. A big gulp type of cup is better, a box of some sort to have it inside is best.

robo hippy

Reed,

Could you post a pic or two of your setup?

Thanks.

Rich

Most central dust collectors dont catch all of the fine dust that comes from sanding, so its a pretty good idea to have some form of ambient air filtration too. I build a unit using an old furnace blower, some furnace filters, and some plywood. Probably cost me $50 or so once I was done

If you buy a respirator and wear glasses read the following: My daughter bought me a respirator but I found that I can't wear my glasses with it. If I don't wear glasses, then I get headaches.
Do you have any type of dust collection system that will take a lot of dust out of the air?
Another alternative is to hold your breath for a long time.;)

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
If you buy a respirator and wear glasses read the following: My daughter bought me a respirator but I found that I can't wear my glasses with it. If I don't wear glasses, then I get headaches.
Do you have any type of dust collection system that will take a lot of dust out of the air?
Another alternative is to hold your breath for a long time.;)

(For the record, post 2000)
For sanding, dust collectors and air filtration systems are more nice to have and augment a face mask more than anything else. A good facemask (and one with filters) has some sort of rating for particle size that it filters out. Ideally to HEPA standards (from WIKI)
By government standards, an HEPA air filter must remove 99.97% of all particles greater than 0.3 microns from the air that passes through.

But almost any mask is better than no mask. But from there, a half mask with HEPA filters works well, but is somewhat cumbersome to wear. Maybe not cumbersome as much as you have to remember to put it on. Even better is a filtered hod, or forced air mask.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
For years I wore a double cannister filter and used a face shield. I then got a full mask filter from Binks. should have used it before buying one. then got a Racall ,now 3M. powered helmet. Got older and now have to wear glasses while working. I have the helmet where the battery clips on to your belt. I now have had it 21 years so it has plenty paid for itself. I dont have eyes packed full of dust at the end of each day. Filtered air is blown over my face all day. The visor flips up. It weighs a couple pounds so it took a bit for the neck muscles to get used to it.
I would agree that any mask is better than none. The painters masks,two straps, about a buck each at the hardware store are rated to 5 microns. When I converted our old mercedes to run on used fry oil I filtered it to 5 microns. The fuel filter is 4 microns. It took 5 thousand miles to plug the main fuel filter. I now pump the 5 micron through 1 micron filters. The amount of crud left on the sides of the 1 micron is very fine. But lots of it. Its very graffic to me now seeing that, that difference is what you put in your lungs. I am told the human eye can see to about 40 microns. I have hepa filter in my helmet. But when the phone rings that visor goes up. If the room is loaded with dust I get some. So all is not perfect. A good gust of wind kicks up clouds of stuff from the floor sometimes. So I sweep up and take a leaf blower to the place. My dust collector only gets some of the sanding dust with all the wind from the trades whipping through the studio sometimes. My daughter Rachel wears her moms Trend helmet when she turns. Its all about habits I think. She has turned since she was 7 and she is almost 16 and has always worn a helmet while turning. The only time I do not wear my helmet while turning is hollowing the inside of a green hollow vessel. A fan blows away any wet stuff coming out and I vaccum out the wet chips. If I have any doubts that helmet goes right on. We all make choices every day. I am a full time turner. I think with all the dust I make I would be dead by now if I had not made the choice to try and filter most of the air I breathe while working.

Back