• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust collector noise ratings?

Having moved the woodturning part of my life into its own quarters separate from my main workshop, (40 miles separate actually) I need to get a dust collector just for the lathe.
I'm not looking to suck up the turning chips, just the sanding dust, and that's all it will get used for except maybe a downdraft table later on. But one operation at a time, never both at once, it need not be a big unit.
I'm thinking one horsepower should be fine. (?)
I've been casting around to try and find realistic noise level ratings for the various options.
Some makers give a decibel rating, some don't, and anyway how trustworthy are those ratings.(?)
Anybody know if there's a comparative study been done at all?
Are there any websites that give real world meaning to decibel ratings anyway. Just what does, say, 80 decibels sound like?
The lowest rating I have found so far is the Jet model 650 with a 65-70 decibel rating from, I assume, Jet, who naturally want me to buy it, so how meaningful is that number?.
I have an old big twin-bag grizzly (3 HP) in the main shop, and I love it's performance, but that is one loud rascal. No clue what it is in decibels though. In a big space it's manageable, but something even close to that loud in this new smaller space would be intolerable.

Any and all input and experience appreciated.
Many thanks.
d

DC Noise

Here is some info from dcaudio.

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library 30dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3' 107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
Power saw at 3' 110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

IMO, the 1HP you suggest should do just fine. You may find that you will want some soundproofing for your DC when its operating. I have one right behind the lathe with a small fan behind and above me directing airflow towards the DC.

You probably noticed that Kurt shows Db@(distance) in his rating. I use a unit rated at 63Db@3' , and I'd still rather have it on the other side of the shop than at my hip. It's also rated at 450CFM @ (can't remember)inches of water. You're looking for the most in the flow, least in the sound, but you can trade off a bit of flow for distance.

I like plugs, not muffs, because they don't make pimples around my ears from prickly heat. They give about 20Db attenuation, which allows me to trade vacuum for distance in favor of my nose. They're the little cone-shaped kind with the band between.

Hearing loss can be a mixed blessing. Years in jet aircraft dropped me to <10% normal in the higher frequencies. Means SWMBO has to shriek louder to bawl me out, which hurts her throat. Unfortunately, also means that little kids' voices are harder for grandpa to hear and understand. Muffs or plugs, and a periodic flush of the wax with plugs.

Hearing loss,tinnitus

I work with chain saws, lawn mowers,vac cleaners and then the shop things. The shrieking of the shop vac was probably the worst. The I got a dust collection system 5? years ago. The ENT doc (he is a woodworker-whom I saw, professionally 2 years ago)said the higher pitched things were to be avoided by hearing protection. I have for the last 2 months hear a bigillion "crickets" from far away when it is quiet. The mecca of all info, the internet, says it can be an aging problem or from noise. Of course I am not aging:D. So I use the plugs when using the sanding drill. I will have to look up the decibel rating on my Delta . It hums rather than screams. I have glasses and then bifocal shop glasses that I flip on and then top of my head and use all the time. Ear muffs are out, and I probably would have the same issue as Michael. Gretch

I got one of the Oneida 3 hp systems. I did build a closet for it. Even with the door open, I can carry on a conversation without having to raise my voice much. With the door closed, no problem. Funny thing is that there is almost as much noise generated by the air moving through the ducts as there is from the motor and impellor. I think it was rated at 80 or so decibles. Can't really remember. Of course, if you can, a 2 stage system with cyclone so that whatever you happen to suck up goes into a bin, and not through the impellors, and pleated paper filters are far superior to the cloth bags. Do check out Oneida.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dave I have the Jet 1100. It is not obnoxiously loud but I would rather have it outside the shop. I can't hear the radio unless I turn it way up. Mine is about 8 feet from me. I don't know the Db.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I can't help with model, as the Delta I have is no longer made.

But as mine is on wheels, and is parked next to the tool I use is on I use hearing protection. In my case it's a pair of over-ear muffs, with active noise cancelation and a built in AM/FM radio (and a jack for an MP3 player).

Noise drop-off is roughly as follows, double the distance and the sound level goes down by 6dB (roughly, not really, due to things called boundary conditions in a shop)

Note: a 3dB drop is half the -power- not half as loud. The ear is not Log (dB) nor Linear (power), it's something else. Half as loud is roughly 9 or 10 dB.

I could go on and on (sound and noise is something I get paid to understand), but that's not the question "hear"

Okey dokey then

Kurt, that was helpful, thank you.
Gretch, of course your not getting older. Me neither. Ha!
Robo, the Oneidas are clearly the Peterbilt of DC's. I lust after that 1.5 HP gorilla unit, but by the time I plug it in I'm looking at a thousand bucks. Worth every penny I have no doubt, but I just can't swing it right now. You are right to recommend them.
Thanks to all.
What I want of course is something that will suck a golf ball through a garden hose and make about as much noise as a goldfish.
I'll keep digging away and post a full report of whatever I end up with.
best
d

something that will suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Cleverly said but inaccurate I think. It is velocity and flowrate that moves material, not the ultimate vacuum available.

Regardless of your choice, might want to consider some hearing protection if the DC is to be in same room with you. I have a 1 hp. Jet DC that runs with the tablesaw, bandsaw, and 6x48 belt sander, and I use ear plugs when it runs, as well as for the routers, planer, jointer, and old shop vac. I have some hearing loss and have been told that protection will reduce the rate of further hearing deterioration. The conical earplugs hurt my ears, and I use some that are larger and shaped to fit more comfortably.

Back