• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust collection for our AAW chapter workshops

We have an AAW chapter in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and have about 30 members. We want to start having workshops which will include sanding. There will probably be 5-6 lathes going at a time. The club meeting room is about 15' wideX15' high X30 feet long. I would like to have a dust collection system which collects the dust at the lathes and brings it to another room on the other side of a wall.

What kind of systems are others familiar with and would suggest using?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Marc Himes

Dust collectiom

I have a cyclone made by Onieda Air. If you send them a sketch of your shop and the lathe, grinder and other tool locations they will design a system for you and send all the parts. My unit is outside the shop and has a remote control. I have had this system for many years and love it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That's essentially what they do at John C Campbell Folkschool. They have a dust collector hose at each lathe and the dust collector is in a separate building.

A big second on the Oneida systems. They make the best ones out there. The filters are so good that you can vent the air back into the shop without having to refilter. With 4 inch hoses, you may need to get a 2 or 3 hp system. Since you won't be using a planer or joiner, you could probably get away with a smaller system than you would need in a full wood shop. Call them up.

robo hippy

Cyclone.

It takes a high volume of air to pick up fines. For 6 outlets a 3HP would be a minimum. You also need to enlarge the opening at the equipment otherwise the air tunnels, which means a significant CFM is required.
I would suggest a bit of research at the Bill Pentz dust collection site. I built a cyclone of his design for the 2000 cfm dust collector in our seniors WW shop c/w a drop box.The unit serves 2 planers & a radial arm saw. After a year of operation there is only a few cups of sawdust in the bags on the DC!
Cheers. Ron.

Some thing else to consider is sanding hoods. The hose does an okay job. The big gulp cups are better, having a hood that encloses most of the lathe without getting in the way of your head is better. When sanding out my bowls, with a 3 hp collector and a 5 inch hose to the hood, I don't have to wear any nose gear. I tested it out by sanding black walnut for most of a day. After 6 hours, no dust up my nose at all.

robo hippy

Some thing else to consider is sanding hoods. The hose does an okay job. The big gulp cups are better, having a hood that encloses most of the lathe without getting in the way of your head is better. When sanding out my bowls, with a 3 hp collector and a 5 inch hose to the hood, I don't have to wear any nose gear. I tested it out by sanding black walnut for most of a day. After 6 hours, no dust up my nose at all.

robo hippy
What sort of hood have you devised or do you use that performs this miracle?
Dean

Thanks for all your replies. I have taken classes at both J. C. Campbell and Arrowmont and the dust collection systems seemed to be very good. I still wore a respirator when working on the lathe at J. C. Campbell, but did well with the lectures and demonstrations when we weren't turning. I suspect we will need a good sized system and will contact Oneida and Bill Pentz. I use a hood in my own shop but it still gets dusty. Robo Hippy, do you have a picture of your hood? Your 3 hp system with the hood sounds like an excellent combination.

Thanks again for your excellent suggestions.

Marc Himes at Teal Lake

I don't know how to take the pics or post them, but...

55 gallon white food grade barrel, which is about 24 inches diameter. Cut about a foot off one end because I don't need it that long. On other end, with the bottom still on, cut a hole to go around the headstock spindle. Cut about a third of the tube that is left off, and this opening faces you as you sand. I cut, screw, and hot melt a hose bib more on the top back of the barrel. I screw a piece of plywood on the bottom of it that fits into the ways of my lathe. I take some clear plastic to cover the end I cut off. The white plastic is translucent, so light shines fairly well through it, but I have 2 lights on either end.

http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/images/2436_loaded_400px.jpg

This is the Oneway version. You can also buy sheet stock of the plastic (standard 4 by 8 sheets) and fabricate your own. Mine does a better job of surrounding the bowl, and I remove it for turning as I turn wet wood to final thickness.

robo hippy

Back