1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Dull spots in finish

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Ron Solfest, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Ron Solfest

Ron Solfest

Location (City & State):
    TN
    Does anyone know what the cause of dull pin-head spots that have developed in my finish after a month? I have a number of bowls I've seen this on, most notably on the walnut ones. The finish is Watco, followed by buffing on a wheel with Carnuba wax. I noticed these small dull spots appear after a month on the inside of the bowls, but not on the outside (or downward facing sides). They gathered dust, but no moisture, during this time. Looking for understanding of the cause, and how to avoid. Thanks! IMG_6599.jpg

2. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    I've had carnauba wax water spot similar to that. Strip the wax with mineral spirits and use microcrystalline wax and see if that fixes it.

3. Donna Banfield

Donna Banfield

Location (City & State):
    Derry, NH
    I've had a similar experience with Richard. Doing outdoor shows many years ago, just the moisture in the air would put spots on the interior of my bowls that were buffed with Carnuba Wax. They were MOST noticeable in my walnut bowls, too.

Ron Solfest likes this.
  4. Ron Solfest

Ron Solfest

Location (City & State):
    TN
    thanks Richard! So you think those pinhead spots are just from moisture in the air?

Do you have a recommended source for microcrystalline wax? Can I apply it the same way with a buffing wheel?

thanks again

5. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

Location (City & State):
    Mossup, CT
    I like Renaissance Wax as a microcrystalline wax

Ron Solfest likes this.
  6. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    Just about every woodworking supply sells Renaissance. It's pricey, but the small can lasts a LONG time. I don't know about power buffing it, never have. Wipe on, buff with soft cloth.

7. Ron Solfest

Ron Solfest

Location (City & State):
    TN
    Thanks y’all, I’ll give Renaissance wax a try!