• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dull spots in finish

Does anyone know what the cause of dull pin-head spots that have developed in my finish after a month? I have a number of bowls I've seen this on, most notably on the walnut ones. The finish is Watco, followed by buffing on a wheel with Carnuba wax. I noticed these small dull spots appear after a month on the inside of the bowls, but not on the outside (or downward facing sides). They gathered dust, but no moisture, during this time. Looking for understanding of the cause, and how to avoid. Thanks!IMG_6599.jpg

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I've had a similar experience with Richard. Doing outdoor shows many years ago, just the moisture in the air would put spots on the interior of my bowls that were buffed with Carnuba Wax. They were MOST noticeable in my walnut bowls, too.

thanks Richard! So you think those pinhead spots are just from moisture in the air?

Do you have a recommended source for microcrystalline wax? Can I apply it the same way with a buffing wheel?

thanks again

Just about every woodworking supply sells Renaissance. It's pricey, but the small can lasts a LONG time. I don't know about power buffing it, never have. Wipe on, buff with soft cloth.

Back