• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drilling dowel?

I was going to drill and turn a piece of dowel to make handles for some HSS pieces that will eventually be a Bedan tool and something else that I haven't decided on yet. My dilemma is: The dowel is too small for my Supernova2 chuck and too big for my HF three jaw chuck. Any suggestions, besides getting another chuck (wife might have a comment on this)? I have a steady rest that would help with drilling. Thanks.

If you put a center point on each end of the dowel you can mount a Jacobs drill chuck into the lathe head stock and use the tail stock to advance the dowel in the drill bit while using your other hand to keep the dowel centered on the drill bit. If you are good at keeping the dowel level with the lathe ways you can easily free hand the same process without the tail stock, just make sure you get the drill bit started in the center of the dowel, you want a good center point driven into the dowel to start the drill bit in.

Just drilled a hole yesterday using a chuck to hold the head stock end and used a center drill to mark the tail stock end. Before I tightened the chuck, I mounted the drill chuck with a brad point bit and entered on to the hole at the end of the dowel.. Then I tightened the chuck jaws on the dowel and turned the chuck by hand to start the drill bit to stay on center. after a 1/4 inch or so, I turned the lathe on and the bit held the tail end of the dowel on center while it drilled. For some reason the brad point drills seem to stay on center better than either standard or bullet point drill bits

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Mike described the way I drill tool handles. After turning the handle a fitting the Ferrell, I put the spur drive in the tailstock and Jacobs chuck in the head stock and do what mike said.

I use Richards method for some things.

I often grip small diameter pieces in the center of the chuck. The points of the jaws will hold pretty well. Most of them open to a inch and close almost to a bit more than a 1/2”
You can improve the hold by Turing a small tenon so there I’d a shoulder to rest on the jaws.

Last edited:
I was thinking of making a jam chuck or collet similar to the method Richard mentioned. The jaws don't close enough to grip the dowel. Put the steady rest on and the Jacobs chuck in the tailstock. Making tool handles. Forgot to get copper for the ferrules at Lowe's!!!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
John, you missed your opportunity to get your wife a new chuck for Valentine's Day. :D

I also drill from the headstock the way that Mike and Al do it. I think that it is the best way to get a straight hole. I have tried using a chuck to hold the dowel, but invariably it results in a crooked hole. I think that the reason is because pressure from the drill in the tailstock can cause the dowel to rock ever so slightly since there isn't a tenon with square shoulders.

When drilling from the headstock, begin by drilling a small pilot hole and then increase the diameter in small increments.

Website
www.youtube.com
Mike, Al and Bill explained things well. The first time I made handles from smaller diameter "dowels" I realized that I couldn't chuck the ends. Drilling from the headstock, as described, works very well; you'll need to go slow (low lathe speed) with a firm grip on the handle you're drilling. I pulled my handle backwards into a four-prong center placed in my tailstock to start without the handle turning on me. I found that a small starter hole is essential to begin (I went straight away with a 3/8" (10 mm) diameter drill bit). The deepest I have drilled handles this way is about 4" (10cm). Incidentally, I also mount the ferrules before drilling.

Bill, her birthday is next week but I already bought her a birthstone necklace and matching ring. A chuck would be a let-down. Our anniversary is in June, though. If I buy her a chuck, will be kind enough to deliver the eulogy?

101_1441.JPG You have a lathe don't you! You can make a much better small handle from a small piece of wood such as a pen blank. I just grip the piece in the spigit jaws of my ancient Nova Chuck, turn it round to the desired contour then make a starter hole in the end and drill with the necessary drill in the tailstock mounted chuck. The picture is of a rehandled Fondue forkView attachment 28292 View attachment 28292 View attachment 28292

This handle will be for a DIY Bedan tool. Handle will be 10-11 inches long. Just need to review the replies and figure out a way to put it in the chuck. Might turn some wood and make a collet to fit the chuck. Then put it through the steady rest to keep it centered.

Website
www.youtube.com
Just to help you decide, below is a photo of several beading tools I just received last week and put DIY handles on (pear wood scraps). I used the method Mike, Al, and Bill explained. The fact that you drill (Jacob’s chuck) from the headstock side, means that you can easily hold the handle with your hand while drilling. I believe the straightness of the hole comes from the alignment between the small starter hole and the point centered on the handle from the tailstock side. This is more than satisfactory for our tools.

DJR_7974.jpg

Back