1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The forums will be down Monday evening for a few hours while they are being migrated to another hosting platform. The migration is going to require a DNS change so it may take up to 4 hours for you to be able to get to the forums again. The outage will start around 9pm PST on 11/30. If you have any access issues Tuesday morning you can email the forum admins @ forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Dovetail recess cutting tool

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by Don Wattenhofer, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I have been doing many once turned natural edge bowls and I decided I needed a tool that I could use to accurately form the dovetail recess with or without the live center in place. The cutter is ground from a high speed steel blank measuring 5 x 16 x 200 mm (.21 x .63 x 7.87") that I purchased on line for less than $20.00.
    DSC00452.JPG DSC00453.JPG DSC00454.JPG The tool is double ended with about a 15 degree and a depth up to 1/4". The contours were rough cut using a dremal tool with 1 1/2" cutoff wheel and then ground to final shape on an 80 grit mega square wheel.

2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    Good solution Don, working around the tailstock on those types of profiles can be a challenge.

3. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    When I started this thread I got as for as that and the forum decided that it would not accept any more so!
    I was going to add dovetail after 15 degree.
    The handle is made of two pieces of rose wood with a 16 MM wide by 3 mm deep stopped dado in each.
    There are two 1/4-20 tee nuts assembled form the inside of one of the sides then the sides are assembled with small torx head construction screws.
    The blade is inserted with the desired end exposed then held in place with 1/4-20 x 1/2" Allen head set screws

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  4. Ray McGrath

Ray McGrath

Location (City & State):
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    did you heat treat the tool?

5. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    No I didn't heat treat the tool because I made it from a piece of "high speed steel" which is already heat treated.

6. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Must have been a bad Internet connection. The settings for a post allow you to have up to eight images.

7. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    The problem I had didn't have to do with the number of images but rather the text input just locked up and the only thing that did work was Post reply

8. Bill Boehme

Location (City & State):
    Home Page:
    The essence of text and pictures are not really different ... just a string of 1's and 0's being sent from one place to another. Although my cable ISP talks about high speed, that actually short bursts of high speed interrupted by pauses ranging from a fraction of a second to several minutes. I hope that you aren't unfortunate enough to have the same ISP that I have.

9. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I did not have lockup problems with any other applications at any time.

10. Bill Boehme

Location (City & State):
    Home Page:
    The sluggish response could also be at the other end on the server used by the AAW.

11. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    Yes that may be the problem plus it was also during the time when I could not stay logged in, which has since gone away without any action taken on my part.