• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Diamonds

I am on a diamond kick. Has anyone incorporated diamonds into your pattern work. If you have can you explain your method and if possible do you have any photos??? I was trying to figure a way to add them to some turnings. Not sure if the diamond is segmented or not. It would look cool if segmented and give it that 3D look. Thanks.

I find them far too expensive to incorporate into my turnings. I incorporated one into my wife's engagement ring with good results

:)

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
John, there are two basic ways to incorporate diamond shapes into segmented work. Large diamonds can be built up layer at a time and small diamonds can be fitted up by using a diamond shaped router bit to create the receiver openings. Sorry to sound like a salesman, but my Volume Two DVD profiles both styles.

I do have your DVD and also your book Malcolm and have read them. I maybe over reaching with what I want to do. I am looking to incorporate them on a pen so the scale is going to be small. I know I could just take a block and turn it on an angle and it is now a diamond. But I wanted that look that you get when you do veneering and say making a compass rose. I think I will do a little experimenting. See what I can come up with.

Hi John, If you check out my website, keithptompkins.com, you will find one of my segmented pieces with a diamond pattern. If that's something you would like to tackle, let me know. A test of your tablesaw skills.

Hi John, If you check out my website, keithptompkins.com, you will find one of my segmented pieces with a diamond pattern. If that's something you would like to tackle, let me know. A test of your tablesaw skills.

Hi Keith

Went to your site and you have some really nice work. I hope to one day be able to do segmented work like that. I see your red and yellow vessel if that is the one you are refering to. I like the fact that the diamonds are mutli pieces and yes that is what I want to try but at a much smaller scale. Have to fit on a pen. If you have any tricks or jigs made I am interested. Thanks.
John T.

Hi John, I don't know how you could do my technique on a pen...very small pieces! My method involves staves that are cut on a table saw, then mounted on a lathe, then cut into rings, rotated to form diamonds, and then reassembled. Tough to do on big pieces, let alone a pen.

Back