• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Depth measurement

Nothing major, just thought I would share how I measure depth on bowls and hollow forms.

I put 3/8 dowel through piece of wood, nothing original here. I then purchased “Rod Rul-r” from Academy in the fishing section and stuck it on the dowel. It is a 1/4” by 30” sticker with 1/4 increments. When I push the dowel into the bowl or hollow form, I can measure how deep it is and can always reset it or go back to that measurement.

Rod Raul-r doesn’t have indicator for the first 3”. Haven’t looked hard enough for alternatives.

24570A46-A28E-4E89-ADFF-41169670E66E.jpeg E01EB8DD-F7C8-4A62-9F71-44534A8E5535.jpeg

PDF file for download is attached.

Attachments

• Bowl Depth Gauge.pdf
    498.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I sometimes start a measurement from 10” on a tape measure because I don’t trust the accuracy of the little tab. You could lol off the first ten inches and ignore the extra 1.

Except when measuring fish.

Mark, that is one of the things my father taught me- on a tape measure, start at the one inch mark and measure. Don't forget to subtract one inch from your measurement.

20170831_171651.jpg 20170831_171726.jpg I got tired of making funnels because my measuring the depth of my bowls / hollow forms was off, so I came up with this simple, but pretty much foolproof method. The piece on the lathe bed under the chuck is sized so that the leading edge is at the face of the majority of the jaws that I use in my SN2 chuck. If I change to my Nova Titan chuck and different set of jaws, I simply cut a spacer to make the piece longer. The rod can be whatever length you need to reach the bottom of the deepest bowl / hollow form you are planning on doing. I drilled a hole through the upright to be centered on the spindle. I marked out depth markings on the end of the rod, with the last 1/2" shown in a band of red. So far, I've not even come close to creating a funnel using my device.

View attachment 24365 View attachment 24366 I got tired of making funnels because my measuring the depth of my bowls / hollow forms was off, so I came up with this simple, but pretty much foolproof method. The piece on the lathe bed under the chuck is sized so that the leading edge is at the face of the majority of the jaws that I use in my SN2 chuck. If I change to my Nova Titan chuck and different set of jaws, I simply cut a spacer to make the piece longer. The rod can be whatever length you need to reach the bottom of the deepest bowl / hollow form you are planning on doing. I drilled a hole through the upright to be centered on the spindle. I marked out depth markings on the end of the rod, with the last 1/2" shown in a band of red. So far, I've not even come close to creating a funnel using my device.

That is pretty creative I like it

Back