• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delta 46-450 experience??

Hello all,
I had started a thread about an older Walker Turner lathe:
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=7193

While that thread was going on, I came upon another lathe that caught my eye, a Delta 46-450 that had been bought at a school auction. It was suggested that I start a new thread about this one, which made sense. So, I'm wondering if anyone has some insight or anything specific to look for on this machine when I go to look at it in person. From the photos I've seen, it looks to be in good shape. This will be my first, and I'm trying to get a substantial lathe that will be dependable and keep me satisfied in size and power for a fair amount of time (I'm planning to start small, but wanting to get into medium sized bowls and vessels. the hard part of that equation is that my budget is around $500 for the machine. This lathe falls close to that, so I'm wondering what you guys think of them in general.

Thank in advance for your help!

Dan

resale

One thing to consider, I paid 650 for my lathe 2 years ago (46-450). I just recently sold it for 650. If it looks good, you will get your money out of the 450. Is the walker variable speed? That is something to consider also

Delta 450

I turned 15 years on a 450. Mine had the motor stationary in the bottom of the cabinet. On the older models the motor moves up and down with the variable speed. It was a great machine and rock solid. I turned twenty inch bowls on the outboard side. Sold it last June for $500. :D

Back