• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delicate wings.

I was turning a waterfall bowl in Australian Burl and one the back side I had some tool scratches on one extra long wing. I was concerned I would break it if tried while lathe turning. So setup piece in lathe then sharpened the scraper to razor sharp. I then turned the headstock plywood back and forth by hand taking beautiful small shavings off until wing was clean up better than if I’d turned it. The plywood was attached to a faceplate.

9C12F394-BA0E-43AB-9C3D-D72B495BF5A8.jpeg89AC0DF4-F7D6-466D-903F-17F7AB716F36.jpeg

Ingenious. Is that a microfiber cloth as a cushion? Will you be sharing the finished bowl? Grain and the overall turning look outstanding.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
For burl like that, a NRS would make for an excellent finish cut. Nice piece! I don't think I would use a standard scraper though...

robo hippy
That's how Stuart has been teaching how to do his wing bowl, with the NRS. Did I just read Robbo say not to use a regular scraper?? I know why, but some people might need an explanation from the scraper master.

STOP THE PRESSES! Robo found something he wouldn't attack with a scraper. What's next, Reed--spindle turning?
I thought the same thing. I didn’t think a nrs would make a difference. The lathe was not on. I was turning by hand taking light scraping cuts. The scraper with a burr seemed to do a better job than my nrs. It shaved beautifully with a nice burr on it. I guess the carpenter in me always goes back to my scrapers when doing flat work at work.

The ONLY time I use scrapers for finish cuts is with end grain, especially with boxes. I would never use a scraper for a finish cut on bowls, inside or outside. The exception to that would be with shear scraping, or if I am doing a bevel rubbing cut. The NRS is ideally suited for a finish cut in this type of bowl, very gentle...

robo hippy

The ONLY time I use scrapers for finish cuts is with end grain, especially with boxes. I would never use a scraper for a finish cut on bowls, inside or outside. The exception to that would be with shear scraping, or if I am doing a bevel rubbing cut. The NRS is ideally suited for a finish cut in this type of bowl, very gentle...

robo hippy
This is what I like about this forum, you always learn something new. I’ve started grinding some of my scrapers to nrs. I really have to take a cbn wheel off one side of grinder and put an old wheel back on so I can rough grind them all to nrs. I see why a lot of turners have two grinders. That third wheel can come in handy.

Glen, before you grind all of your scrapers into NRSs, have you seen my scraper videos? Scary Scrapers is one. The Big Ugly videos as well. I use scrapers as my main roughing tool for bowls... All of the end grain hollow form tools are pretty much scrapers.

robo hippy

Back