• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deer Antler Pen

ok, I have my first order for a 'deer antler' pen. I am interested in learning if there are any 'pitfalls' in turning antler. I have never done this before and I don't want to mess up $20 worth of stock figuring it out.

Website
www.craftsbyken.aftosawebhosting.com
Hi
I have turned antler pens. first you hold the brass tube to the piece and see if it is straight enough to drill. Make sure you have it in the vice and run the bit past it on a dry run to be sure the bit is going where you want it. Once you drill it be sure when you turn it that you remember that it is out of round and also that it is BONE not wood. Most times carbide tooling is a big plus with very shallow cuts till you get it the thickness you must have. It will polish nicely and remember that the center of the antler could be soft. I have turned several and all have come out nicely. If you have any questions type a note.

Make sure you wear a dust mask while turning. It will smell horrible and will generate dust that can give you lung infections (it's from a mammal and can contain bacterial or fungul infections that we can catch).

Good luck,
Dietrich

Antler makes a very beautiful pen. Deer antler doesn't usually have a lot of color in it. I prefer elk, fallow or axis deer with elk being my favorite. The main beams are more porous and colorful than the tines. I buy the whole antler on Ebay and cut it into blanks myself. One average elk antler will yield 10 to 15 pens and can usually be bought for under $20.00 + shipping(shipping usually costs more than the antler). Sheds are better than cut-offs because cut-offs still contain blood(a little trial and error info there, yuk!) After drilling the blanks I coat the inside liberally with thin CA glue and let dry before inserting the tubes. Once it dries inside the blank you may have to re-drill them. If you choose to use a more porous section turn close to your finished size and then fill in the pores with thin to medium CA glue. The glue will polish to a nice finish. A wax finish often turns the antler yellow after a period of time. Don't hold it directly under your nose while applying the CA. Some kind of chemical reaction occurs and the piece literally smokes when the glue is applied. Like dkulze said wear a mask. When being turned, antler stinks to high heaven. Kinda like a burnt hair smell. Keep your tools sharp and have plenty of CA glue on hand to fill the voids.Good luck.
call1n

Back