1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

David Ellsworth demo today

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Sean Flannery, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Sean Flannery

Sean Flannery

Location (City & State):
    Summerville, South Carolina
    Regrettably, I missed the deadline to register for David's demo on Natural Edge bowl turning this afternoon. Is it too late for me to join? I would be happy to be able to view the video when it is posted later. Thank you in advance.

Sean

2. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    Can’t answer your question but I’m wondering if anyone has received the access links?
    (I have not).

3. Dave Landers

Dave Landers

Location (City & State):
    Estes Park, CO
    Home Page:
    My webinar link came in email yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

4. R Henrickson

R Henrickson

Location (City & State):
    Kentucky
    Mine came yesterday afternoon as well.

5. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    Finally came through today.

6. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    I don't know who the moderator was that answered the questions posted by the viewers today, but when Ellsworth is turning with a "40/ 40 grind" as he stated, I would think that the world has changed direction on it's axis and is now spinning the other way.

Dave Hulett likes this.
  7. John Jordan

John Jordan AAW Advisor

Location (City & State):
    Cane Ridge (Nashville), TN
    Home Page:
    It will be available for three weeks. I assume there is info on the home page, but you have not missed out.

John

8. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC

40/40??? Did Ellsworth say that, or the moderator? That wasn't what I saw, but I did miss the first 15 minutes of the demo

9. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    No, Ellsworth did not say that that. If you clicked on the questions tab you could see the stream of questions being posted along with the answers from the moderator. (It was wise to have a moderator view the questions and weed them out before interrupting David). As I viewed the questions coming in, it was pretty much non stop- - - It must have been a huge live audience.

10. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC
    Thanks for clarifying Tom. I learned from the on-line symposium this year to ignore the peanut gallery:D. I got so distracted, and lost my focus on the demo so many times that I just turned it off. I realize that in order to be ..."interactive " there must be some audience participation. And - I am not yet curmudgeon enough to call any of the questions dumb. Not at all....Just call it MY weakness and my OCD, anal retentive, dyslexic, color blind personality profile that require me to focus on the demonstrator with undivided attention....o_O:)

11. Jeff Brockett

Jeff Brockett AAW Board Member

Location (City & State):
    Mount Juliet, TN
    David Ellsworth's demo will be available for 3 weeks and those who registered will receive a link to view. I was the moderator for Q/A and answered the grind question stating it was a 40/40 grind which was incorrect. David did correct that statement in his demo stating that he was using a 60 degree grind. There were over 90 questions asked during the Q/A and we tried to answer as many off line as we could.

Dave Fritz and Kevin Jesequel like this.
  12. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    That could not have been an easy task for you. Thanks for moderating.

Dave Fritz and Tim Tucker like this.
  13. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Dang, I plum forgot to sign up.

14. Bill T Tucker

Bill T Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Nashville, TN
    Outstanding demo!! The support staff did a superb job of minimizing interruptions while keeping the demo flowing. Having heard the expression, "Ellsworth suicide cut", always wondered what that was. Saw it in action...Wow! That's one you practice with the motor off. There's a reason why this is called the Master Turner Series...can't wait to watch John Jordon.

Dave Fritz likes this.
  15. Dave Fritz

Dave Fritz

Location (City & State):
    Montfort, Wisconsin
    David showed his cutting bench in his woodyard and asked people to email him to encourage him to make a design available. Would there be a way someone from the AAW could arrange to have it posted here? I'm reluctant to email him as I suspect he'll be overloaded with requests. Now that I think of it, pictures would be sufficient for me.

16. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    Is there a way to buy into it now to watch the recording?

17. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    Here are some photos of the "back saver" that I built after taking Ellsworth's class when he was still in Pennsylvania a few years ago. The pieces of wood that may come into contact with a saw chain are glued on with construction adhesive to minimize the chance of hitting a fastener screw. Overall dimensions of mine are: 42"L X 29"H X 22"W. I didn't measure his, but this is what I came up that works for me. You can see that I mounted casters on mine, as I am cutting wood my wood in the alley after rolling the rig out of the garage.

Attached Files:

Dave Fritz and Gerald Lawrence like this.
  18. Dave Fritz

Dave Fritz

Location (City & State):
    Montfort, Wisconsin
    Thanks for that Tom. I agree with David when he said the band saw was dangerous. It's quite and smooth operating so doesn't raise the level of alarm with me like a spinning lathe or a loud machine. It's the only machine so far that's bit me and I can't for the life of me figure out how it happened. Cut down to the bone in a heartbeat. A club member told me later his dad taught him to imagine a 45 degree angle coming out from each side of the blade. Never put your hand in that area. That's been helpful.

19. Karl Loeblein

Karl Loeblein

Location (City & State):
    Millington, TN
    Fwiw, Some people paint a red zone on the bandsaw table to designate an area to avoid placing your hands.

Here’s a YouTube video on building an inexpensive guard using wood and plexiglass that I haven’t reviewed yet:

View: https://youtu.be/KHe4bgZGMjk

Dave Fritz likes this.
  20. Larry Parker

Larry Parker

Location (City & State):
    Grottoes, VA
    I am very interested in this also. I took a screen shot of the cutting bench but would love to have the dimensions, etc.

21. Larry Parker

Larry Parker

Location (City & State):
    Grottoes, VA
    Thank you‼️

22. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    David is having plans drawn up for his saw bench ... if you send him an email, he might just send you a copy.

23. Karl Loeblein

Karl Loeblein

Location (City & State):
    Millington, TN
    I worry some turners might be tempted to lift up too heavy log onto one of these which could negate it being a “back saver”. Most of my logs are pretty large so I just roll them up on some scrap wood to keep blade out of the dirt, and kneeling down helps so I don’t have to bend over too much. Although, I suppose a table lift could be a big help here.

24. Larry Copas

Larry Copas

Location (City & State):
    Springdale, Arkansas
    Home Page:
    IMG_2310.JPG
    This past March from Davids shop.

Larry Parker likes this.
  25. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    Well, there comes a time when common sense has to step in too. I like to prepare meals while standing at the kitchen counter, but if I have a whole animal to break down I'll start that while it's hanging the garage. And when it comes to large logs a peavy bar helps a lot on the ground, and I too roll the large ones on to some lumber scraps and work on them whilst kneeling.

Tim Tucker likes this.
  26. Hugh

Hugh

Tom......thanks for the pictures and the dimensions.
    Kind of off the subject.....but it seems that this thread has moved in that direction.....lifting logs safely.
    Brad Adams - from Benicia, CA shared with me a way to lift logs safely and save the back.
    He uses a motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight. I purchased one - something like $175 on sale. Made mostly out of aluminum. I put on a piece of plywood on the top and have 2 4x4s attached to that. Comes out to be the perfect height to use my hand truck to put the logs on the motorcycle jack. Then, you just balance the log on the jack and pump it up. I use it to load my pickup. Does not quite get to the top of the tailgate, but it is high enough to use my arms to lift and push into the back of the pickup. No back bending at all. Move 200# logs and some at maybe 300#s. I am too old to have back problems so I find this tool very handy.

27. Larry Parker

Larry Parker

Location (City & State):
    Grottoes, VA
    I emailed David Ellsworth today and he promptly sent me the plans on the sawbuck. I ask him for permission to post it on here but have not heard back from him as of yet.

28. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    YES! Just got this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you missed this woodturning master's live presentation, you can still view a recorded replay of the demonstration until November 14.

1) You can purchase access to the recorded replay!

• Click here to purchase access to the recorded video replay.
    • $20 for AAW members and $40 for nonmembers
    • The recorded replay will be available to purchasers through November 14.
    • After purchasing access, you will receive a receipt/confirmation by email. A link to the recorded replay will be sent by email the next business day following your

Bill Boehme likes this.