• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

D/J Lathe

This is my first post, hope I am doing it correctly.
A few years back I bought a D/J lathe, made by Denver Ulery.
I got it from the the estate of the orginial owner, a member of our local group.
I know of one other D/J lathe in our group and was wondering about others using this type of lathe.
Also thought we could talk about inprovements other have developed and share with each other.
If any one else has an interest, I look forward to hearing from you.
David Freundlich

welcome to the forum, David

sorry I do not know anything about that lathe, there is a site for specs on most lathes that someone will provide

enjoy the curve

Hi, David. Welcome

I've seen one other person who had one of those lathes out in California in the L.A. area that I just happened to run across while visiting family. IIRC he did two things, sort of modeled on Jerry Nichols' lathes. 1. was to make a dust shroud to close over the spindle to keep it clean and 2. I seem to remember that he moved the motor under the spindle rather than keeping it mounted behind on the same level. I'll poke around to try to find the guy's name, but this had to be more than 10 years ago so I'm not hopeful.

Hi, David. Welcome

I've seen one other person who had one of those lathes out in California in the L.A. area that I just happened to run across while visiting family. IIRC he did two things, sort of modeled on Jerry Nichols' lathes. 1. was to make a dust shroud to close over the spindle to keep it clean and 2. I seem to remember that he moved the motor under the spindle rather than keeping it mounted behind on the same level. I'll poke around to try to find the guy's name, but this had to be more than 10 years ago so I'm not hopeful.

It may be well over 10 years, the info I have is from 1991-93 not sure how long they were made. I have an articule with Denver and Bonnie Klein dating to June 1988 the "American Woodturner", mine was bought and to made to order in 1991. Thanks for looking into it, any thing you can find will be appreciated.
David

Kind of funny because when he showed it to me I immediately said, "Ah, a Nichols lathe" but he quickly corrected me, showing a bit of pride, that it was a "Denver" machine and that Nichols was alleged to have copied the design. I didn't press the issue :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised, however, if "D/J" stands for "Denver/John" as I've seen a note here or there that Nichols may have been making some of the parts. If true, I think Nichols may still be with us (link below) and you might see if you can contact him for information. He quit making lathes shortly before I went shopping for my "terminal" lathe, about 12 years ago, and closed shop.

Good luck with your search

PS: Dug up this link http://web.archive.org/web/20031126152017/http://www.nicholslathe.com/ that might give you some leads. And corrected my post to "John" from Jerry. Must have conflated him with Jerry Glazer. Ah well, age gets us all sometimes.

Last edited:
Kind of funny because when he showed it to me I immediately said, "Ah, a Nichols lathe" but he quickly corrected me, showing a bit of pride, that it was a "Denver" machine and that Nichols was alleged to have copied the design. I didn't press the issue :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised, however, if "D/J" stands for "Denver/John" as I've seen a note here or there that Nichols may have been making some of the parts. If true, I think Nichols may still with us and you might see if you can contact him for information. He quit making lathes shortly before I went shopping for my "terminal" lathe, about 12 years ago, and closed shop.

Good luck with your search

PS: Dug up this link http://web.archive.org/web/20031126152017/http://www.nicholslathe.com/ that might give you some leads. And corrected my post to "John" from Jerry. Must have conflated him with Jerry Glazer. Ah well, age gets us all sometimes.

Thanks will look up the link. The paperwork that came with the lathe is D/J Wood Sales Jean and Denver Ulery. I think Jean was his wife, if I remember right Denver pasted away some years ago. Also I heard that Nichols was his son-in-law. Again just hear say not sure. I will try to scan the info I got when I bought the lathe and then try to put it on line to be available. What kind of lathe do you use, "terminal".

Thanks will look up the link. The paperwork that came with the lathe is D/J Wood Sales Jean and Denver Ulery. I think Jean was his wife, if I remember right Denver pasted away some years ago. Also I heard that Nichols was his son-in-law. Again just hear say not sure. I will try to scan the info I got when I bought the lathe and then try to put it on line to be available. What kind of lathe do you use, "terminal".

Just checked out the link you gave me. There had to be some connection, the parts are identical, the tail stock, banjo, and the ways look just like my D/J. Thanks again....

Stubbys look like great lathes, I have only seen the 750 up close, really great features.

I've seen comments that Omega (the Aussie maker of the Stubby lathes) copied features from Nichols and another innovative lathe maker, Bernie Meira [sp] who owned Serious Lathe Company back then. As Serious was on my shopping list, I called Bernie about a lathe; he didn't have any available but tried to sell me the company instead!! :D

Back