• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Crown revolution hollowing system.

I bought this system thinking is might be a good hollowing system. I however have found that it really does not work as a hollower due to twisting and vibration of the bar where it goes into the handle. The super ring is very tricky to set up and is not very good cutting hard,dry wood. I found a gap in the end of the 5/8" bar tab, that causes movement of the cutter arm; you cannot get it tight enough to prevent movement when hollowing. It is slightly smaller than the actual cutter arm, so there is this gap. I contacted Crown in England and they told me it was "miss machined" and would send new parts. They never did, nor would they answer a second email.
I find Crown to be a very good tool company, with a long history; But I think they got it wrong with this one.

I'm not familiar with the Crown system, but I ground a small flat area on my boring bar where it goes into the holder. That way the set screw tightens on the flat area and prevents twisting of the bar. Not sure how to deal with the gap you describe. With respect to hollowing dry wood...it's difficult! Save for perhaps 2 HFs, all of my hollowing is done with green wood. If you want a non-distorted HF (due to the green wood drying), you can twice turn them. First turning/hollowing when it's green; second turning in a few months when it's dry. There's a minimal amount of wood that needs to be taken off when smoothing the inner wall and opening.

John, I have no experience with your tool but I think you should follow up on your email to Crown.
I know that the uncertainties around UK leaving the EU caused lots of retailers across Europe to fill up their stock and for months there was a massive delay on delivery etc.
Your "case" may have drowned in their mailbox, but the company has had a good reputation for service.
I suggest you write again and give them one more chance.
Lars

Back