• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

crotch grain

I have a 12" diameter walnut log with a 6" branch. what is the best way to cut a bowl blank from this log to get the most interesting grain pattern?

thanks.

Lay the log on it's side with the branch facing up. Saw down through the pith of the branch while splitting the branch and main log in half.

First thing to do is to split the pith. The attached photo illustrates how to orient the crotch for opening and (just as important) the correct angle on your saw so that you are cutting through the rings rather than parallel to them. This reduces the length of the shavings and makes things much easier on your saw and reduces clogging of your sprocket.

Now to the bowl. The most intense crotch figure is at the pith. Thus you should plan your bowl orientation as if you were doing a natural edge piece so that you put the most figure in the bottom of your bowl. You still don't want the pith in your piece so you'll trim a bit off that surface, but try to save as much of the center as you can. When I turn a crotch bowl, I usually glue a waste block on the pith-cut surface for use in chucking the piece for the hollowing cuts. I then start the piece between centers (to balance the grain) and shape the exterior profile and the waste block. Reverse and open the bowl with the tailstock engaged. When the bowl is finish-turned, the waste block is removed thus preserving all of the figured grain in the bottom of the piece.

A note on glue. Since the wood is wet, you'll NOT be using PVA glues like Titebond. :rolleyes: A generous amount of epoxy or "medium" CA is called for here, and be sure to allow either one at least 24 hours to cure well before you start turning the piece.

Attachments

• Chainsaw-101.jpg
    Chainsaw-101.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 222
make a starter cut into the pith on both sides of the log - I find that it will help to create a channel for you to follow in cutting thru both piths.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
A six inch branch is pretty small for doing what has already been suggested. Another alternative I employ on pieces with smaller branch-outs is to orient the bowl so that the branch crotch would be toward the bottom or side of the vessel. You then turn the shape to retain a section of the branch itself shooting through the side or bottom of the bowl. This gives a comet figure to the branch knot and retains some of the crotch ripple in the bowls surface. You can get some odd shrinkage in your form though. Practice will let you know what can be achieved with this technique.

- Scott

Back