• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Creating a Thermed 3-Legged Stool

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Therming is a turning technique that dates back to the 1700s. It has allowed turners to create a number of spindles, legs or ballusters simultaneously using a 'barrel turning' rig on the lathe. This presentation walks you through the steps to make your own therming rig and then create some unique legs for a stool. Materials are minimal and all you need is to be comfortable with 'turning air'. The links in the presentation take you to a YouTube video I created that provides more information.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Therming a Stool 2.pdf
    884 KB · Views: 168

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Glad to be of help. I first learned of this technique in a class taught by Art Liestman. He has given a number of demos out your way. There's a good article on Therming in the May 2017 issue of the British magazine 'Woodturning'. American Woodturner also published an article on 'Angular Turning' (therming) in their Summer 1998 issue.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
You are welcome and I agree. I have to give credit to Art Liestman for getting me interested in therming. The class I took from Art and Barbara Dill at Arrowmont in 2012 was entitled "Round is So Over-Rated". That class got me started down the off-axis and twisted paths. Art has made some very unique works of art with therming. I even understand that Stoney Lamar used therming for some of his creations. The article that Art Liestman posted in American Woodturner in April 2010 provided a basis for my presentation.

One of those things I have thought about doing without ever seeing it before. I knew it was some thing that had to have been done a long time ago.... Thanks!

robo hippy

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Give it a try Robo! The therming rig I discuss was taken from a class taught by Art Liestman back in 2014. It is simple to make and can give you the capability to make some interesting shapes. Here's some examples on non-furniture shapes I have made with this therming technique:

Attachments

• triplets 2b.jpg
    triplets 2b.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 26
  • tower 6c.jpg
    tower 6c.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 25
  • flamebowl 1b.jpg
    flamebowl 1b.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 25
Back