1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a Thermed 3-Legged Stool

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by brian horais, Jul 19, 2020.

1. brian horais

brian horais

Location (City & State):
    Knoxville, TN
    Home Page:
    Therming is a turning technique that dates back to the 1700s. It has allowed turners to create a number of spindles, legs or ballusters simultaneously using a 'barrel turning' rig on the lathe. This presentation walks you through the steps to make your own therming rig and then create some unique legs for a stool. Materials are minimal and all you need is to be comfortable with 'turning air'. The links in the presentation take you to a YouTube video I created that provides more information.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Damon McLaughlin

Damon McLaughlin

Location (City & State):
    Eastern Washington
    Brian, thank you for sharing pdf file. I've started experimenting with therming, though not stool legs, and this will help.

Damon

3. brian horais

brian horais

Location (City & State):
    Knoxville, TN
    Home Page:
    Glad to be of help. I first learned of this technique in a class taught by Art Liestman. He has given a number of demos out your way. There's a good article on Therming in the May 2017 issue of the British magazine 'Woodturning'. American Woodturner also published an article on 'Angular Turning' (therming) in their Summer 1998 issue.

4. R Henrickson

R Henrickson

Location (City & State):
    Kentucky
    Good video and presentation. American Woodturner published a Liestman article on therming in the April 2010 issue (25:2)

5. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Brian,

thanks for posting.
    I find this technique similar to inside out turning and some split turning techniques.
    Great tool for people to have i their kit.

6. brian horais

brian horais

Location (City & State):
    Knoxville, TN
    Home Page:
    You are welcome and I agree. I have to give credit to Art Liestman for getting me interested in therming. The class I took from Art and Barbara Dill at Arrowmont in 2012 was entitled "Round is So Over-Rated". That class got me started down the off-axis and twisted paths. Art has made some very unique works of art with therming. I even understand that Stoney Lamar used therming for some of his creations. The article that Art Liestman posted in American Woodturner in April 2010 provided a basis for my presentation.

7. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Thanks. Saved the file for reference.

8. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    Well done instruction and video lesson. Thank you.