• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Craft Fair Newbie

I am signed up for my first craft fair. Nothing too exciting, just a very large neighborhood deal, with other nearby neighborhoods being invited. However, I want to expand my repetoir beyond pens and small boxes. I am curious about those bottle stoppers- do they sell? Which style- Cork, Silicone, or those metal ones. The metal ones are cooler looking, but don't look like they would seal the wine bottle very well. Also, I am going to do some small ornaments. How much do those little guys sell for? I can make a decent one in an hour or so. Other ideas?

Hi Matt.

I do crafts fairs and some galleries and bottle stoppers are where most of my sales come from. I generally do cork only but a friend does silicone and metal ones to good effect. The metal ones actually have silicone rings that give you the seal. The prices I usually see are 10-15 for cork, 15-20 for silicone, and 20-30 for metal.

Figure that, if you're fairly new to turning, you can't really price stuff by how long it takes you to make. Early on, I'd tend to say to decide what you think you'd pay for it and charge that. Weed pots (little vases with just a hole drilled for dried arangements) and ornaments tend to go for the 20-40 range around here. Medium vases (6-9" dia or width) for 40-90, larger work for whatever you think it's worth. A little less for bowls.

Things that sell well at crafts fairs: Bottle stoppers, ring holders, little bowls and boxes, small to medium vases, ornaments, pens, tops, and anything you can turn while folks are watching.

Sales will go up if you are demonstrating at the show but ya gotta have a shield up between you and the audience.

Good luck,
Dietrich

Back