• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Conover Help!

I need to replace the belt on my Conover and cannot get the spindle apart. The directions are only marginally helpful, at least for me. They say to unlock the pre-load washer, but i don't know what that means. I've loosened the preload nut, which makes the washer loose, but is that unlocked? Next it says to move the pulley to one side and remove the key; i can't move the pulley far enough to either side to get the key out. Then it says to turn the preload nut to push out the spindle. What about the handwheel flange? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks,
kevin

Kevin, I sent you an email on this. Does anyone remember if the book Ernie Conover wrote a few years back, entitled The Lathe Book, had a chapter on this? I am thinking it did.
I love my old Conover but don't use it much these days. I am thinking about redesigning the configuration, although I have enjoyed the length capacity for spindle turning.
Hope you get some responses Kevin.
Blessings,
David Galloway

Kevin,

I have a Conover lathe and replaced the bearings about 16 months ago. The belt, drive spindle and pulley all needed to come out. It was pretty easy. Before you do this, you might want to purchase one of the link type vee belts. The links can added or removed to get the right size for your set-up. I think I have seen where these link type belts actually provide better power with less slipping. The are very common and used on many power tools such as table saws that are belt driven. When I bought my Conover used it had this type of belt on it. That way you don't need to remove the pulley and spindle.

Changing the belt.

1.Take off your hand wheel.

2. On the hand wheel end - The washer has tabs which should have one or two bent up into a notch on the nut. Bend these tabs down flat. This unlocks the nut and allows it to turn.

3. Remove the nut & washer off the end of the shaft.

4. Remove the cover over the pulley. You need to remove/ loosen the 1/4" set screw on the pulley which locks it on the shaft.

4. Should should be able to slide the pulley along the shaft to remove the keyway. If you need to tap the shaft forward, but be sure to use a wood block to protect the threads.

5. Once the pulley is free, continue to drive the shaft forward and remove from the headstock. Or at least far enough to get the belt off the end of the shaft.

6. Replace the belt and do everything in reverse order.

7. Don't forget when you tighten the nut, you will need to bend one of the tabs on the washer into the nut to prevent it from moving loose.

Hopefully this helps. If not let me know.

Jake Niedling

Jake,

How did you get your handwheel off? Does it screw off or is there another way? Does your lathe have the v-pulleys or the grooved ones for the poly-vee belt? Mine has the grooves, and i put a link belt on it last night. It seems to work, but the small grooves are cutting notches in the tabs on the underside of the belt.

Thanks for your help,
kevin

Conover Help

Kevin,

Jake gave you very good directions. The handwheel can be unscrewed. The only addition I might want to make is to suggest that you repack the bearing which, if I remember correctly, comes out with the spindle. If at one time you need new bearings, you can buy them from NAPA automotive supply stores.

Good Luck,
Jens

Kevin,

My set-up uses the standard vee type step pulley. The style you have I think uses a different belt type. Recommend getting the right belt for this will enable you to get the most torque to the headstock drive without slippage.

Jake

Poly-V or Serpentine Belts

These are the belts with several ribs on them. They are used in a number of lathes, including the Jet Min. There are 3 parts to the size:

1. Size of the ribs. Jet Mini uses the "J"
2. Number of ribs.
3. Length of the belt in inches.

Since I modified my Jet Mini and needed a longer belt, I found a source for these belts. They can supply just about any size, length and number of ribs.
To order you need to phone them. They are very inexpensive, and shipping charges very reasonable. No minimum order.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

www.aarubcorubber.com

Problems removing front and rear bearings on my Conover

I am trying to repack the front and rear bearings of my Conover lathe. I bought it used. I have successfuly removed the head stock spindle.

The front bearing stays with the spindle and I don't know how to move it out in order to repack it.

The Rear bearing has a so called "Spacer washer and a seal". I am afraid to damage the seal and the washer if I force them out.

I know Conover Lathes are no longer being manufactured. Any ideas as to where I can buy the seal and the washer for the rear baring? Also, how to take out the bearings without damaging them?

Back