• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

coloring two part epoxy

I'm using Bob Smith Industries two part epoxy and would like to color it. What would give the best result, craft supply aniline dye, a powder dye, alumalite dyes or something else. I'm wondering too about adding mica type powders into the two part epoxy. I'm thinking about using it to fill some voids in a bowl.

I use Mica powders with two part epoxy to fill small voids. It comes in many colors, however, some voids adds character to the piece. The next bowl that I will be working on has a rather large crack that I will use epoxy mixed with real crushed turquoise.

I used the same 2 part epoxy with the Black Diamond powder, it worked really well. Only takes a very small amount of the powder to get a nice color. If you want a darker color, add more powder.
I bought a package of about a dozen different colored pigment powders.

20181219_154901.jpg 20181221_160640.jpg 20181219_171159.jpg 20181221_155832.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. It sounds like most anything will work. I wonder if anything reduces the drying time and/or hardness of the epoxy when set?

I've had better luck using dry pigment rather than liquid. If you use a little too much liquid it won't harden all the way. I just bought some assorted fresco powder pigments from Dick Blick. Chalk line chalk powder even works.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dave. So far the only problems I have had is when using large amounts of acrylic paint. I know people.say you cant use acrylics but I have, it just harder to mix. Too much however and the epoxy won't cure. Stick with the eyes and powders. The onlynokother problem i have had is trying to add thickeners to make the epoxy as thick as clay. It cured hard but was filled with holes like foam. Like anything else it's best to do a.test on scrap before committing to the real thing.

I use black tempera paint powder at about 1 part powder per 10 parts epoxy. Less than $5 for a lifetime supply. Disperse the powder in Part A of the epoxy first before adding Part B (catalyst). Cures hard in the same length of time as unfilled, and has maintained a shiny black color for > 5 years so far.

Dave

Last edited:
Care to share your findings? I used to deal with them but they reverted to a minimum sales per year. Out of my reach for what I did.

I've been using AeroMarine 300/21 low-viscosity and 400/21 adhesive for years now - it is a cycloaliphatic epoxy. System-3, which is also cycloaliphatic, has some great pigments - a small jar lasts for years. I mix brown and black for a super dark brown.
And for what its worth, I've found that colloidal silica will not only thicken but it seems to absorb the colorant - little white specs drove me nuts before starting with colloidal silica.
My guess is that the System-3 pigments will work great with most other epoxies.
John

Back