1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Collar Joints on Hollow Forms

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jon Minerich, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Jon Minerich

Jon Minerich

Location (City & State):
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Hi All,
    I have been thinking about trying to make small, two-part hollow forms and boxes. As I have been reading about these, several authors have mentioned “collar joints” to ensure good alignment when gluing up two different types of wood on hollow forms. I am not familiar with this joint. Can any of you enlighten me?
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    I have used Corian material as a mating joint and collar for boxes in the past. The main concern is having a stable material for the mating joint that does not expand or contract at different rates when exposed to humidity changes.

3. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
  4. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Interesting. Is there something showing this on the forum or a Youtube video?

5. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    Corian comes in a variety of colors and CA glue will readily bond it to wood, it also turns and sands and polishes like hard woods. If you select a proper color it can accent the wood piece, they make solid colors and a variety of high end materials that look like stone. You can also thread this material if you are looking to make a threaded joint.

6. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Help! Couldn't find anything on collar joints. Just a bunch of regular types of joints and joinery.

7. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee