1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Cold Drinks

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Charles Cadenhead, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

Location (City & State):
    Tallahassee, FL
    I now have a more serious topic than tool rests. What do people do with their soda/pop/cokes/cold drinks (or water) in the shop? I find that I don't want shavings in my drinks, though I don't mind if 1 or 2 end up in there, so I've taken to covering them with an unfinished lid or some times with just a block of wood. Do others do that too? :)

Attached Files:

2. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    I just put my drink around the corner.

Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  3. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    I only drink coffee in a travel mug in mine.

4. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I just sit a piece of wood on top. I almost always have a coke can sitting around and wasps or bees will get in, it's not just about dust. The wood prevents this. I usually have some 3" or so pieces that I use for glue blocks laying around so I just put one on top.

5. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND
    I drink bottled water, leave lid on unless taking a sip. I keep it chilled in the beer fridge in the workshop, er, wife's garage. (Just for info, once I pull a beer, all machines are off for the night)

6. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    I have a Frigidaire portable 6-can mini fridge in the shop. It runs on a 110v adaptor (or 12v adaptor for a vehicle). It's set on a lamp timer, 12hrs on and 12hrs off. It will keep contents cold, if cold from the start, or will take a couple hours to cool contents if left from the previous day. I keep it stocked with bottled water. This has been great addition to my shop, especially during the summertime......:D

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidai...Fridge-EFMIS129-Black/320370927?selected=true

-----odie-----

[​IMG]

7. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Well, shavings in the coffee cup aren't all bad. If you make John Wayne coffee, as in throw the grounds in the pot and bring to a boil, the shavings help filter out the grounds when you get to the bottom of the cup.... For water bottles, I use the sport type bottles that I use on my bike rides.

robo hippy

8. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Travel mug for coffee, insulated mug for cold drinks.
    odie, it is more efficient to leave the refer plugged in all the time. To bring the temp down takes more energy than maintaining a set temperature. Same with the house thermostat.

9. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    I use a travel mug also for my coffee covered with a paper towel. For cold drinks, like Odie, I keep them in a small fridge.

10. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    Having an old guy bladder I walk back to the house on a pretty regular basis and have a glass of water while I'm there. I try hard to keep food out of the shop, enough interest from the mice as it is.

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  11. Dennis J Gooding

Dennis J Gooding

Location (City & State):
    Grants Pass Oregon
    I don’t drink and turn.

12. Dean

Dean

Location (City & State):
    Waco, TX
    Just turn a set on top lid for your favorite cup on a cold lazy Sunday morning!

13. Ross Scott

Ross Scott

Location (City & State):
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I just have filtered water out in the garage and it is kept in a 3 liter plastic orange juice bottle with screw top lid if I want to chill it down I toss it in the chest freezer for 20 minutes which is right next to my lathe.

14. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I have a full size refigerator, I usually keep a case of waters from Costco, some Diet Cokes, and lots of CA in it. I keep whatever I'm drinking out of the line of fire. Forgot to mention I drink a lot of coffee to, I have a Nespresso machine.

15. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Engineers and physicists know not to drink and derive.

Philosophers shouldn't think and drive.