• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning up epoxy.

I sometimes use Epoxy for fill or glue up. Recently its been to glue a finished wood sleeve on to a coffee mug liner, Cleaning up excess without damaging the finish can be a challenge. On a Kayak building forum there was a thread on cleaning up epoxy with white vinegar. Apparently the acid breaks up the long hydrocarbon molecules that make up the components. Well it works great on the 50/50 epoxies I often use and I know the kayak builders use 4:1 epoxies. The cleanup might be a bit slower but it doesn't harm the finish and my hands are happier.

I build custom fishing rods and use two part epoxies on the grips and reel seats. I started with denatured alcohol and was told that you can get 91% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) a lot cheaper. I found it at Walmart. Either one works great.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use denatured alcohol to clean up the excess before it hardens. After it hardens I can usually pop it off the already finished wood with a sharp tool.

As an aside, paste wax will prevent epoxy from sticking. Just apply it, either leave as is or buff. Great release agent for rifle bedding and turned corn cob holders...........:)

Rich

Back